Crime in brief

STATE STREET

Sexual Assault

A 28-year-old Madison woman was sexually assaulted at the Whiskey Jacks Saloon on State Street, a Madison Police Department report said.

According to the report, a 20 to 30-year-old man made unwanted advances towards the woman and then put his hand down her shirt.

Police were called to the bar, but the suspect had left by the time law enforcement arrived.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said while incidents of “intoxicated males grabbing at females in bars” do happen, the event was relatively isolated and there is no pattern of sexual assault in the city.

FREAKFEST

Crime Update

DeSpain said this year’s Freakfest was highly successful, with the lowest number of arrests and citations to date.

An MPD report said that a total of 32 people were arrested. Twenty-five were cited and then released. Most of the citations were for offenses including underage drinking and possession of open intoxicants on the street.

DeSpain added one person was sent to detox, two were hospitalized and four were sent to jail. These numbers are also lower than those of past years.

MPD thanked Freakfest party-goers for helping to make the event safe and successful in the report.

KENNEDY HEIGHTS

Shooting Suspect Apprehended

An MPD report said police have arrested a seventh suspect in a fatal shooting in May.

Police arrested 18-year-old Myntrell Jarvis on Saturday morning. He was charged with being party to the homicide of Jonathan Wilson, the report said.

Six of the seven arrested individuals have been charged with being party to the crime of first-degree intentional homicide DeSpain said.

The seventh man, 18-year-old Demetrius Matticx, has been charged with first-degree intentional homicide for allegedly being the one who actually shot Wilson.

DeSpain added police are continuing to search for several more people who were at the scene. Police believe almost all of the individuals involved had strong connections to Madison gangs, he said.

EAST WASHINGTON AVENUE

Battery

A 34-year-old Madison man was arrested for battery, disorderly conduct and possession of marijuana after allegedly biting a police officer.

An MPD report said the officer had to seek treatment after he was bitten in the arm by the drunken suspect. The bite broke the skin.

Police were called because the suspect had been in an altercation with Murphy’s Tavern security staff after a conflict in the parking lot.

The conflict arose after a car containing one passenger backed into another car in the lot. The suspect became agitated and allegedly struck the officer.

The suspect has not yet been apprehended.