Crime in Brief

GORHAM STREET

Battery

Two men were arrested following a suspected battery and robbery of a 22-year-old male on the 200 block of West Gorham Street, a Madison Police Department report said.

According to the report, a bicyclist came upon the two suspects kicking the victim in the head and yelled at them to stop the assault. Based on descriptions gathered from witnesses, MPD officers located the suspects.

“We see these crimes more as a mindset and arrested some 25 people for similar crimes throughout the summer,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

SOUTH CARROLL AND SOUTH HAMILTON

Disturbance

After a dispute between family members allegedly took a violent turn, Shante Carter was arrested and detained at the Dane County Jail for disorderly conduct and an unauthorized use of a weapon.

Carter allegedly engaged in a heated argument with her brother while driving in a car with several members of her family.

The MPD report said the disagreement resulted in Carter halting the car before exiting the vehicle and allegedly spraying her brother with pepper spray.

WEST BELTLINE HWY

Bomb Threat

Many different departments in Dane County responded to a bomb threat at a Super 8 Motel investigation shortly after 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, a MPD report said.

A Dane Country Sheriff K9 team and the FBI joined MPD officers on the scene.

The incident resulted in the closure of the frontage road leading to the motel, and the faculty was evacuated for safety reasons. Both have since reopened.

Following a thorough search conducted by officials that did not uncover any suspicious items, MPD is encouraging individuals with any information to come forward.

MINERAL POINT ROAD

Robbery

A 19-year-old Middleton man became the victim of a robbery and beating on Saturday night, a MPD report said.

The man was battered and beaten with his own crutches when officers responded to the incident in a parking lot in the 6600 block of Mineral Point Road.

DeSpain said the victim was well aware of who the assailants were, and one of them has been apprehended by law enforcement.

“We’ve seen a number of cases where individuals owe money for a number of things, and if they don’t pay up, people come to collect the debts they’re owed,” he said.

STATE STREET

Stolen Bicycle

While many may doubt the probability of recovering a stolen bike, a report for MPD said the help of a citizen witness lead officers to recover the stolen property.

Andre Vance, 17, of Madison was arrested after a man witnessed the suspect take a women’s mountain bike and load it onto a Madison Metro bus.

DeSpain said this type of crime tends to garner a lot of attention among Madison residents.

“Madison is a big bike city, so when you start stealing people’s bikes, it’s the kind of crime a lot of people pay attention to,” he said.