City locks plans for Mifflin Block Party

mifflinmeeting_MH
Matt Gerding, Majestic co-owner, said the plan the city finalized for the 2011 Mifflin Street Block Party was the product of many revisions.[/media-credit]

After encountering a number of obstacles in the process to revamp the format of Madison’s famed Mifflin Street Block Party, a city committee’s unanimous approval of the plan may soon give students reason to celebrate.

Madison’s Street Use Commission approved Majestic Live’s plan for the event, which includes giving wrist bands to attendees of legal drinking age to allow consumption of alcohol in the street, which members said they hope marks the first step in making the event more consistently positive.

Matt Gerding, Majestic co-owner, said most facets of the plan were considered during the course of nearly 14 revisions of the original.

He said there would be one stage for performances located between Bassett and Broom Streets on Mifflin Street with acts to be announced and events beginning at 11 a.m. He also said security staff will not allow glass containers in the event.

Madison Police Department Officer Carl Gloede said these charges in the event model will allow for consumption of alcohol in street and terrace areas within the approved event zone for attendees over 21.

“All other regulations for underage drinking, house parties and out of control house parties will be enforced,” he said. “The only real big change is the drinking allowed on the street for of-age individuals in the zone.”

Mayor Paul Soglin expressed concern during the meeting that the permit process had not been brought before City Council, particularly in the case of the required permit to sell beer in the event area.

Capital Neighborhoods, Inc. member Scott Kolar said the new incarnation of the Block Party would promote an event that focused more on entertainment.

He added the group has assumed the risk that the festivities may not profit and could potentially lose money during the first year.

“The goal is to see a more positive event which is less focused on drinking,” he said. “We all really want to see this event succeed.”

Kolar added the neighborhoods organization voted unanimously to support the reconfigured event, earning the support of more than two-thirds of members in an earlier vote.

While members of the Mifflin community are optimistic for the redesigned event, members of the police force said they would remain cautious moving forward and would thoroughly evaluate the success of the new model in considering enforcement standards for future events.

“We will be cautious about moving forward, and we view the changes as a step to change an event with serious alcohol issues,” Gloede said. “This is an exploratory rather than a precedent event.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said although the street use permit the Majestic plan for the Block Party was unanimously approved by the commission, CNI will still have to go through the formality of applying for a beer permit.

He said this remaining hurdle is purely administrative and the final permit would likely be approved in the coming days.

Verveer will host a meeting for Mifflin neighborhood residents on April 25 at 7 p.m. at the senior center to allow students the opportunity to discuss Block Party changes and expectations for residents with both the event organizers and city officials.