Dane County Board votes in Peters as new interim clerk

The Dane County Board voted in a new interim Dane County Clerk Thursday evening, arguing the current political climate throughout the state calls for an experienced and knowledgeable candidate to fill the seat that has been vacant since February.

Acting County Clerk Karen Peters, who has worked as a clerk throughout Wisconsin since 1988, was appointed to take the position based on her experience and performance throughout the county’s past two elections, Sup. Scott McDonell, District 1, said.

“Having Karen serving out the final two years will give some stability to the office going into a major presidential election,” McDonell said. “There won’t be a lot of turnover before that, and there won’t be an adequate chance to train the deputy clerk.”

McDonell also said because Peters will not seek election in November 2012, appointing her to finish out the current term – which she began after County Clerk Bob Ohlsen retired in February – would allow for an open election with a true race in 2014.

Earlier this month, the Waukesha County Clerk came under fire for serious mishaps surrounding the Supreme Court race. McDonell said this incident served as an example of how important the county clerk position is.

“We take for granted in this state that our elections are clean and the process is competent,” he said. “We need to realize it takes work and effort – we have learned why it is important to have a good county clerk.”

Peters said she was the better candidate for the position over her competitor Sup. Kyle Richmond, District 27 because of her previous experience as acting county clerk.

She said though she agreed with many of Richmond’s ideas for the position, the Dane County Board needed to appoint someone who had a lengthy background in elections in order to ensure accuracy.

“My key issue was the experience – knowing we’re going into all we are right now with recalls, recounts and special elections and redistricting, those things are happening daily, and there isn’t a time period for someone to come in and get trained on that,” Peters said.

Richmond said he would run for the position in 2012 if he can get public support because he still believes there are reforms to be made in the office. He said he would focus on public transparency for statements of financial interest and posting financing information online.