Resnick, Szarzynski to continue in pursuit of district 8

The race for two of Madison’s City Council seats representing many students narrowed after Tuesday’s primary election, leaving only two candidates contending for both Districts 8 and 13.

Following Tuesday’s election, District 8 candidate Scott Resnick, president of State-Langdon Association, walked away with 49 percent of the vote. University of Wisconsin student Kyle Szarzynski will also pass through to the general election ballot after finishing the primaries with 42 percent support.

While the turnout for the district tends to be low, Resnick said voters from the southeast dorms and Spring Street neighborhood are “what made the election.”

“Really, it’s the student voice in deciding who students want to represent them,” Resnick said.

Resnick said he would continue to focus on student issues like campus safety and housing. He added his experience with the State-Langdon Association and endorsement from current Ald. Bryon Eagon carried a lot of weight in the election.

Szarzynski said Resnick has not addressed issues of relevance to working or marginalized people. Szarzynski said he would address student concerns, but also place them into larger issues of social economic justice.

He said the ongoing budget repair bill debates might have adversely affected his campaign over the past few days because he is running on a pro-labor platform.

“To be perfectly honest, part of our campaign at the end spent a large amount of time and resources organizing around union rights,” Szarzynski said. “But over the next month and a half, we will be able to redirect resources back toward the campaign.”

Though the race came to a close for Christian Von Preysing-Barry, he said would consider campaigning in the future since he believes several issues in Madison still need to be solved.

Sue Ellingson was a clear front-runner in District 13 and nabbed 63 percent of the primary vote. Ellingson said her first concern is to represent her constituents but would also work to improve alcohol safety, tenant rights and the quality of the lakes.

Ellingson will face T.J. Mertz, who took home 27 percent of the vote and said he would focus on tenant rights, combating poverty and smart budgeting.

Mertz said his main disadvantage in the primary was beginning his campaign in January while Ellingson began around October.

“There is still very much a race,” Mertz said.