Day one: Encampment demonstration passes 12-hour mark as UW administration urges protesters to remove tents

Protesters join wave of demonstrations on college campuses across nation
Paige Valley
Students and community members rallying at Library Mall on April 29, 2024.

An encampment was built on the University of Wisconsin campus around 9:40 a.m. Monday. The building of the encampment followed a protest on Library Mall during which hundreds of students and community members led chants denouncing the ongoing war in Gaza and calling for UW’s divestment from the state of Israel.

The protest on the UW campus comes on the 205th day of the war in Gaza and amid a wave of student demonstrations in response to the war in Gaza on college campuses across the nation. Students for Justice in Palestine UW–Madison organized the Monday protest, emphasizing its response to the “new wave of student repression across the country,” according to a post made on the SJP Instagram account.

After the encampment was built, students and community members linked arms and stood around its perimeter.

Throughout the morning, university leadership handed out flyers with campus protest guidelines. An email was sent to UW students, faculty and staff by Dean of Students Christina Olstad and UW Police Department Interim Chief Brent Plisch Friday. The email explained campus protest policies, including the provisions under Chapter 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, which specifically defines and prohibits camping on university property.

This is a developing story. See live updates below.

12:31 a.m. April 30, 2024

Nearly 17 hours after the demonstration began on Library Mall, protesters remain peacefully in the encampment. The Badger Herald will resume reporting on the demonstration at 8 a.m.

— Reported by Managing Editor Cat Carroll.

12:19 a.m. April 30, 2024

Protesters remain gathered on Library Mall. An organizer encouraged protesters to tell those who left earlier in the night to return in the morning.

12:10 a.m. April 30, 2024

Officers on State Street Mall are unsure about the situation but are monitoring the demonstration to make sure nobody is bothering protesters. The officers said an individual disturbed the protesters earlier in the evening.

— Reported by Digital News Editor Brianna Davis.

12:07 a.m. April 30, 2024

Protesters have sat down and are playing a Palestinian song by Mohammed Assaf.

12:01 a.m. April 30, 2024

Two UWPD officers walked past the front of Memorial Library. They are now standing on State Street Mall. A group of people seeking information is standing around the officers.

Protesters have begun to sing, “I am not afraid, I will die for liberation, because I know where I was made.”

11:59 p.m.

Five officers are gathered on the Langdon Street side of the Wisconsin Historical Society. The officers parked behind Memorial Union and walked over.

— Reported by Managing Editor Sophia Scolman.

11:57 p.m.

Officers are parked outside of Memorial Union. Three are walking toward the protest, and one went into Memorial Union.

— Reported by Print News Editor Blake Thor.

11:42 p.m.

A sheriff car was parked outside College Library but has since left. One sheriff said the unit was locking and checking buildings. The officer walked out of College Library and back into the car.

11:36 p.m.

On Library Mall, protesters say they can hear sirens in the distance. They have begun chants and are standing in a crowd front of Memorial Library. The protesters are no longer encircling the perimeter of the encampment, but are standing around a table with food and supplies.

11:35 p.m.

Nine cars have left the Fluno Center going in different directions.

11:26 p.m.

Officers are loading both marked and unmarked cars in the Fluno Center garage with duffle bags. Several officers are standing by to guard as the loading happens.

11:11 p.m.

MPD Chief Barnes has returned to the Fluno Center.

— Reported by Digital News Editor Sami Bitat.

11:09 p.m.

Officers in the Fluno Center lobby denied to answer questions about the potential of police presence on Library Mall.

— Reported by Associate News Editor Margaret Shreiner.

11:01 p.m.

In a joint Instagram post, SJP UW–Madison said UW police are “preparing to make arrests.” The post asked individuals to make calls to UW administration in support of the demonstration.

10:59 p.m.

A lead organizer is once again going over community guidelines with protesters on Library Mall. The guidelines emphasize a commitment to community and the protection of one another.

10:50 p.m.

“I reached out numerous times to all the officers that have been around the surrounding area, none of which have given a clear answer or taken responsibility,” Bennett said after being pushed out of the Fluno Center lobby. “They’re absolutely pretending like they have nothing in the know and yet here they are.”

“We’re literally just doing our jobs, that’s the thing that kills me — simply having information to share with folks over there [at Library Mall] to liaise with MPD, to see if there are ways we can help de-escalate the situation in general,” Bennett said. “They are escalating, they are the problem.”

10:42 p.m.

Govindarajan and District 2 Alder Juliana Bennett attempted to enter the Fluno Center with protesters. The group was pushed out by officers in the building lobby.

10:33 p.m.

Organizers at Library Mall asked protesters who plan to stay overnight to go to a designated area. The organizers want to get a headcount.

10:31 p.m.

A guest staying at the Fluno Center said she saw about 30-50 officers in the hotel. She also said that there is a lot of gear for officers in the auditorium, where law enforcement is watching surveillance footage.

— Reported by Contributing Author Brody Killoren.

10:28 p.m.

Three officers are walking out of the Fluno Center basement right now.

10:26 p.m.

Officers at the Fluno Center appear to have canisters of pepper spray and zip tie handcuffs.

10:23 p.m.

Protesters remain around the encampment on Library Mall. Many have sat down around its perimeter from standing positions.

10:17 p.m.

Madison Police Chief Shon Barnes has left the Fluno Center.

10:14 p.m.

Officers at the Fluno Center confirmed they are carrying gas mask pouches.

10:04 p.m.

Officers at the Fluno Center are watching overhead drone footage of Library Mall. They are also observing Library Mall with Memorial Union surveillance footage.

10:02 p.m.

Dane County Sheriff Kalvin Barrett has departed from the Fluno Center in an unmarked car. When asked, Barrett did not answer questions about whether the officers were moving to Library Mall, or if they were planning on using chemicals.

9:47 p.m.

Officers from UWPD, the Madison Police Department, the Dane County Sheriff’s Office and the Wisconsin State Patrol have gathered at the Fluno Center. There appear to be about 30 officers equipped with batons and bags.

Per Wisconsin Statute 66.0313(2), UWPD may receive support from other law enforcement agencies within its jurisdiction through a mutual aid request.

9:44 p.m.

Lead organizers informed protesters that space will be made for the night prayer, Isha. Those praying will not be encircled for protection as they were during previous prayer times throughout the day. The organizer said surrounding the encampment is the current priority.

9:33 p.m.

Organizers are asking protesters to get back into their formation and be aware of surroundings. Organizers suggested protesters conceal their identities and be ready to leave the site when needed.

9:22 p.m. 

In a speech to the crowd of demonstrators, one organizer said the group’s demonstration has so far deterred law enforcement from moving in on the protest. The organizer once again emphasized the importance of community, encouraging protesters to get to know and support one another.

8:57 p.m.

Nearly twelve hours after the demonstration began, protesters have fully encircled the encampment and have resumed chanting. UWPD officers are stationed at all four sides of the encampment, including State Street Mall, outside Memorial Library, outside Memorial Union and outside the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Students and community members rallying at Library Mall. April 29, 2024. (Paige Valley)

8:51 p.m.

Faculty has been in communication with UW administration but it has not gone well, according to Alatout. Organizers expect law enforcement will be called on the encampment tonight. Protesters have started encircling the encampment, calling for MPD to “back down.”

8:10 p.m.

The after sunset prayer, Maghrib, has begun. Other protesters are again surrounding those praying to block potential interruption and interference. Demonstrators are standing outside of the Library Mall exit of Memorial Library holding signs that are lit up and read “Free Gaza.”

— Reported by Managing Editor Sophia Scolman.

7:57 p.m.

If students are arrested at tonight’s demonstration, UWPD will only press charges against them in exceptional cases, UWPD officials told Govindarajan.

7:41 p.m.

SJP posted on Instagram calling for protesters to come to Library Mall, where they said “police are preparing to surround the encampment.”

7:40 p.m.

UW leadership addressed the campus community in a statement Monday evening. In the statement, campus policy regarding protest and encampments, which are prohibited under Chapter 18 of the UW System Administrative Code, was restated. The leaders said that once protesters are in compliance with campus and state policy, a meeting can be arranged to discuss the demands made earlier today.

“We hope that protestors will elect to avail themselves of the many alternative ways to protest and to express their views without tents or encampments on our campus grounds,” the statement said.

The statement was signed by Chancellor Mnookin, Provost Charles Isbell, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor, Deputy Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion LaVar Charleston, and Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Robert Cramer.

At the time of this update, protesters and the encampment remain on Library Mall.

7:01 p.m.

UW College Democrats expressed support for those protesting on Library Mall in a statement posted to Instagram. In the statement, leaders of the organization emphasized their commitment to “listening, engaging with all viewpoints, and creating space for students to have their voices heard.”

“We commend the students of UW–Madison for their commitment to raising awareness and prompting discussions that challenges us to think critically about our world,” the statement said.

6:52 p.m.

Alatout spoke before protesters, emphasizing that faculty and staff are present to support the rights of students to participate in the governance of the institution that they belong to. He also said he disagreed with the militarization of campuses across the country, saying it is a display of power, rather than a relationship between students and administration that could come up with a new way of governing.

“Come up with a way to govern in a human and appreciative way that creates new worlds,” Alatout said.

After Alatout spoke, protesters once again began chants.

6:25 p.m.

Olstad and the Protest Support Team are handing out informational flyers about protest regulations.

5:50 p.m.

The late afternoon prayer, Asr, has begun. Other protesters are again surrounding those praying to block potential interruption and interference.

5:39 p.m.

A UWPD officer said UW administration and UWPD are working to develop a statement regarding the demonstration, but were unable to answer specific questions regarding if protesters have been asked to move their tents.

5:15 p.m.

UW administration has asked protesters to move tents, according to a speaker at the demonstration.

Immediately after this, protesters chanted, “Hell no we won’t go” and “Genocide has got to go.”

4:28 p.m.

UW faculty, staff, alumni and donors said in a statement in solidarity Monday afternoon they were “heartened to see our students’ commitment to critical thinking and civic engagement on display, alongside that of their peers across the nation.” The signatories of the statement said the protesters are embodying the Wisconsin Idea, applying what they learn beyond the classroom.

Signatories called for UW administration to live up to the university’s institutional mission of providing a “learning environment in which faculty, staff and students can discover, examine critically, preserve and transmit the knowledge, wisdom and values that will help ensure the survival of this and future generations and improve the quality of life for all.”

At the time of this update, the statement in solidarity has over 100 signatures.

3:30 p.m.

A group of people holding an Israel flag is standing facing the encampment. Protesters are moving and building more tents to take up more space on Library Mall.

In a joint Instagram post on the SJP and YDSA profiles, organizers announced “nightly support for the encampment” will begin at 10 p.m.

3:20 p.m.

At another teach-in, one of the organizers spoke about the history of police brutality in Madison and on the UW campus specifically. The organizer called for Mnookin to put an end to violence used by authorities on campus. The organizers also highlighted the activists on and off campus and thanked the faculty and staff that were present at the protest, with a special thanks given to Muslim faculty who provided pizzas for the encampment.

2:30 p.m. Protest organizers advise attendees on interaction with law enforcement

Protest organizers gave a speech advising attendees on protest rights and how to handle police interactions, with an emphasis on not speaking if detained.

“If you are having to be detained before police officers talk to you, don’t argue, don’t give any explanation,” a protest organizer said.

The organizers asked protesters to practice using phrases that, if detained, can best protect them from prosecution.

— Reported by Associate News Editor Anna Kristoff.

2:10 p.m.

A teach-in scheduled for 2 p.m. has not yet occurred. Protesters are scattered across Library Mall and settled in the encampment.

1:45 p.m.

Prayers have ended and people dispersed back into the encampment.

UW associate professor of community and environmental sociology Samer Alatout expressed support of students’ right to express themselves. Many UW faculty and staff are invested in ensuring students’ safety and right to self-expression, Alatout said.

“They are all together, trying to convey the message that there is a world possible in which we all can coexist in a peaceful and beautiful way, but at the same time, that should extend to the administration, faculty and staff,” Alatout said. “The UW administration, the students, the faculty and staff should think of ourselves as a family.”

1:20 p.m.

Organizers cleared an area on the grass for students and other communities members to gather and pray, with a perimeter of individuals around the area to block anyone attempting to interfere. Prayers are set to begin in 10 minutes.

UW student David Skadron, who has been identified as the counter-protester from earlier in the day, was circling the encampment while two pro-Palestine demonstrators were blocking him from recording the protesters.

12:54 p.m.

A nurse and member of Healthcare Workers for Palestine, who asked to be referred to as Victoria, said she came to support students demanding divestment. The attacks on hospitals and patients being shared online have been overwhelming, Victoria said.

“Everybody deserves to have peace and everybody deserves the right to sovereignty and to live a life fully,” Victoria said. “But being a patient in a hospital and at your most vulnerable and being attacked and being the doctors or the medical staff that are providing that care, it is just overwhelming.”

12:50 p.m.

Jewish Voice for Peace-Madison Chapter Leader Tsela Barr said the protests are not inherently antisemitic.

“As a Jewish person I am really frightened by the rise of antisemitism,” Barr said. “… It’s okay to criticize Israel, especially right now, with this genocide going on.”

Barr said it’s possible that protesters will succeed in calling for divestments.

12:45 p.m.

A UW student and spokesperson from SJP UW–Madison said this protest is bringing attention to UW for its investment in companies complicit in violence against Palestinians. As of 2023, the UW System holds investments through BlackRock — a global asset manager investing in weapons manufacturing companies, the spokesperson said. SJP also demands the disclosure of UW Foundation’s investments so students are aware how the non-profit is fundraising on behalf of the university, the spokesperson said.

“We do plan to be here until our demands are met,” the spokesperson said. “And what we’ll be doing in the meantime is providing food, community, teachings so that people can learn more about this and other struggles around the world.”

12:22 p.m.

The protest has been a peaceful demonstration so far, UW student and District 8 Ald. MGR Govindarajan said.

“Students have always been known to be the center of activism in our country,” Govindarajan said. “I think that’s exactly what we’re seeing here today. It’s something that students really care about — impacts us, impacts our communities.”

Govindarajan said he hopes protesters will take proper precautions to stay safe.

11:53 a.m.

Organizers announced a safety training will take place for protesters at 12:30 p.m. They also announced that speakers will give presentations at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.

11:20 a.m.

Chanting has stopped, and protesters opened the encampment. The organizers are passing out snacks and water.

11:14 a.m. Protesters continue to surround encampment

There are currently at least 14 tents set up in the encampment with protesters surrounding the area holding banners. One banner in the middle of the encampment says “No to Rafah.” A protester has also set up a Palestinian flag in the middle of the encampment on Library Mall.

One organizer said “I’m really glad we were all able to come out to fight for the same cause.”

11:08 a.m. SJP shares demands

SJP UW–Madison posted a list of demands for UW in a joint Instagram post with National Students for Justice in Palestine, Wisconsin Coalition for Justice in Palestine, Young Democratic Socialists of America and Young Democratic Socialists of America at UW–Madison. Demands include divestment from companies on the American Friends Service Committee website, disclosure of the UW Foundation’s investments, cutting ties with Israeli institutions, calling for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, removal of police from campus and ending land expansion.

In the Instagram post, SJP UW–Madison said they have “transformed Library Mall into a liberated zone.”

11:01 a.m.

A counter-protester appeared with a sign and spoke out in front of the crowd of protesters. The counter-protester was escorted away by a UWPD officer.

11 a.m.

Demonstration leaders directed protesters to an online presentation about the history of military funding and scientific research at UW.

10:50 a.m. Protesters call on UW leadership for divestment

Protesters continue to call for UW’s divestment from the state of Israel. They called on UW leadership, including Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin, in a chant, saying “Chancellor Mnookin, you can’t hide. You’re supporting genocide.”

In other chants, protesters drew attention to UW specifically, chanting “UW–Madison is painted red. Over 40,000 dead,” along with “UW–Madison, you will see. Palestine will be free,” and “UW–Madison you will learn. Palestinian refugees will return.”

10:37 a.m. Community protest guidelines read aloud by organizers

One of the protest’s leading organizers read out community guidelines for the demonstration and encampment. The organizer emphasized keeping others safe, respecting the space, asking for consent before taking pictures and staying in solidarity.

Protesters began to chant “Dispose, divest, we will not stop we will not rest,” directly after.

Legal observers from the American Civil Liberties Union are present at the demonstration.

10:20 a.m. Protesters remain encircled around encampment

Nearly 40 minutes after the encampment was built, protesters remain around the perimeter of it. They have been leading chants calling for UW’s divestment from Israel, including one in which they stated, “What does our tuition fund? Missiles, bombs, tanks and guns.”

State Rep. Francesca Hong (D-Madison) is present at the demonstration. April 26 Hong said in a post on the social media platform X that student leadership through protest has “helped us heal and build moral clarity.”