Suspects in recent east side homicide located

Charges were brought against four individuals Tuesday in last week’s east side gang-related homicide, though only two appeared in court, a third was spotted by Texas authorities near the Mexico border.

Karen Giron-Cruz, 19, of Madison who was arrested Friday, and Victor Prado-Velasquez of Fitchburg, a 16-year-old Verona High School student who was arrested Monday, both appeared in court Tuesday and were charged with being a party to first-degree intentional homicide. Both were jailed with bail set at $200,000, The Wisconsin State Journal reported.

Also charged were Giron-Cruz’s boyfriend, Billy Wenner-Say, 23, of Madison and Ivan Mateo-Lozenzo, 21, also known as Arain Gutierrez.

Police reported late Tuesday Gutierrez was spotted in the Port Arthur, Texas area, presumably fleeing to Mexico. Authorities remain in pursuit.

Another 15-year-old suspect in the case was also apprehended in West Lafayette, Ind. late Tuesday according to the incident report. Wenner-Say remains at large.

One week ago today, police responded to the 2100 block of Fordem Ave. on Madison’s east side. The 19-year-old Antonio Perez had been shot and rushed to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Witnesses gave police a detailed description of a white car with no hubcaps and a small spoiler leaving the scene.

Giron-Cruz was the first to be apprehended in the investigation when a SWAT team responded to a tip that the white car was parked near a house on the 1700 block of Baird St. City officials maintain this is not a random act of violence, and there is no unusual threat to the neighborhood.

“It’s been pretty clear from the beginning that these were people who knew each other and that this was not a random occurrence,” Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, previously told The Badger Herald. “I think in general our neighborhood is very safe.”

Combating current gang conflicts and fear in the community, which can be an inhibitor to gaining vital information, police urge anyone with knowledge pertinent to the case to aid the ongoing investigation by calling MPD’s Crime Stoppers hotline at (608)-266-6014.