Naked and unafraid: Photographer Sally Mann addresses line between art, vulnerability

Though Mann known for crossing lines, she said she respects boundaries of each subject
courtesy of Wikipedia

From capturing pictures of her family to drastic landscapes, Sally Mann carefully considers which artistic lines to cross to capture the vulnerability of her subjects.

As part of Wisconsin Union Directorate’s Distinguished Lecture Series, critically acclaimed photographer Mann spoke about pushing boundaries in the humanities.

Best known for a series of photographs of her family, which feature her children naked at their Virginia farm, Mann’s work is considered shocking and controversial. Some of Mann’s other controversial work include pictures of naked body parts and dead bodies.

Mann has distinguished herself in the field of photography, winning several awards for her work, including the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

In an interview with The Badger Herald, Mann said she works to establish strong relationships founded on mutual respect and understanding with her subjects.

Though she is labeled a “button pusher” due to the sensitive nature of some of her chosen subjects, Mann understands the fine line between her art and the vulnerability her subjects and even herself may be privy to in the field of photography.

Mann said she tries to make it clear when working with subjects that she as the photographer does not have all the power. Subjects in portraitures can be vulnerable so she makes sure she does not take advantage of that vulnerability.

When thinking of the vulnerability of subjects, Mann thought of her father when he suffered from brain cancer. Mann took pictures of her father throughout his illness, but the state of his vulnerability made it difficult to the point that Mann could not take any more pictures.

“I think it’s a personal line and … every single artist or journalist has to make those kind of decisions for themselves,” Mann said. “Many people are dealing with them on a regular basis with every brush stroke and every time they release the shutter, they have to know where that line is.”

Mann has been working on a project for 10 years that features the bodies of black males.

Mann stressed the importance of making subjects comfortable enough with her to consider their relationship a partnership. She said this is not always a staple in photography, but is especially important to her current project.

“[It’s important to be careful] that you are not taking advantage of the innocence,” Mann said. “There are just certain people who are just innocent to the hazards of photography and I think it’s important not to take advantage [of that innocence].”