Mumps cases discovered on University of Wisconsin campus

University Health Services urges students to take precautions, watch for symptoms
Herald archives

University Health Services announced Tuesday several University of Wisconsin students have been found to have mumps.

The announcement, made via email to UW-Madison students, stated the cases discovered within the UW-Madison students are connected to mumps outbreaks at other Midwestern universities. Other outbreaks have occurred at the University of Illinois, University of Iowa, UW-Platteville and UW-Whitewater.

According to the UHS email, mumps is a contagious viral disease that is spread through saliva and mucus. Symptoms usually occur 16 to 18 days after infection and can include fever, headache, muscle aches, swollen glands and fatigue. Swelling of cheeks and jaw area are also a classic symptom of mumps.

Students who are are experiencing these symptoms should make an appointment at UHS, according to the email.

Though according to the email there is no treatment for mumps, students can ease symptoms through rest, taking over-the-counter pain killers and drinking fluids.

The email noted while people who have the mumps vaccine are usually protected for life, it is still possible to contract the illness even after immunization.

UHS is urging students to make sure their immunizations are up to date and take precautions to protect their health. The email notes if a student believes they are sick, they should stay home.

More information about mumps can be found on the UHS website.