UW students hold memorial for Garissa University attack

Four weeks after the Somalia-based militant group Al-Shabaab massacred Garissa University in Kenya, the University of Wisconsin held a memorial for the 147 students killed in the attack.

The short but impactful event drew more than 30 people gathered on Bascom Hill to join in prayer, song and a moment of silence.

Hayley Sperling/The Badger Herald

Representatives from UW’s African Studies Program spoke about the incident and stated the importance of standing together as students and as a community.

Gospel choir members led the group through an emotional rendition of Amazing Grace.

Hayley Sperling/The Badger Herald

Organizer and member of the African Studies Program, Selah Agaba offered a three minute moment of silence, about a second for each victim.

First year UW grad student Serah Kivuti, who is from Kenya, said she truly appreciated the support from her new community.

“It feels nice when people feel like they’re not alone, when there’s a problem and everybody comes together and shares their pain,” Kivuti said. “It’s so consoling, so comforting.”

She also said being on UW’s iconic Bascom Hill was a fitting and peaceful location for the memorial.

Hayley Sperling/The Badger Herald

“It’s a really nice place to meet, especially when we came to have some moments of silence,” she said. “It’s just a nice place to meditate, to think about exactly what happened and feel for the families.”

Even though Kenya is half-way across the globe, Kivuti said she received many messages of support and concern from her peers.

“I received so many messages asking if I knew anyone who was in the attack, if I have any relatives there and I felt people really were concerned about what we’re going through and I feel that was really great coming from America, it’s very far away from Kenya…I still feel like a community of loving people,” she said.