SSFC approves ALPs budget, addresses wage violation from SPILL

A committee of the University of Wisconsin student government approved the 2014-15 budget for Adventure Learning Programs and heard a budget presentation from the Working Class Student Union at a meeting Monday.

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee approved ALP’s total budget of $148,941.99 by a vote of 9-0, with two representatives abstaining.

While debating the budget, SSFC representative Devon Maier expressed concern with the amount of money in the budget allocated for food and beverages at a staff training event. SSFC representatives decreased the allotted funds by $1,000.

“Last year we usually only went with food and beverage for kickoff events, occasionally for conferences,” Maier said. “It is something we need to be consistent and whether we are going to have food at kickoffs, which is good, but it shouldn’t expand beyond that to staff training, there should be other alternatives.”

SSFC representatives also heard a budget presentation for WCSU, who asked for $47, 788.02 in General Student Services Fund money for the 2014-15 fiscal year.

Derek Field, the group’s finance director, said WCSU is a student organization that advocates for first generation working class students to help recognize the benefits of class diversity on campus.

In their proposed budget, Dena Ohlinger, WCSU President, said the organization decreased salaries by more than $1,800 per position and also decreased their supplies, furniture and advertising line items.

However, WCSU increased their programming budgets for Working Class Celebration Month, their annual Cultural Showcase event and printing and photocopying, Ohlinger said.

SSFC representatives voiced concerns regarding the additional funds allocated for printing and photocopying.

Ohlinger told representatives the increase would go toward advertisements.

SSFC will vote on the budget for WCSU at its next meeting Thursday.

SSFC members also addressed a wage violation committed by Badger Supporting Peers in Laid-Back Listening.

Two students from SPILL violated the wage bylaws by working more than 20 hours a week in September, committee Chair David Vines said. The incident was treated as one violation because they were committed within one pay cycle, he said.

Grace Bolt, ASM spokesperson, said SPILL is expected to write a letter explaining what happened and how they plan to address the violation.