Journalist urges students to pay it forward

lecture_JS
Despite being illiterate until age 12, Byron Pitts has been a correspondent for CBS since 2009 and focuses on giving back to the community.[/media-credit]

Multiple Emmy award-winning journalist Byron Pitts told his story on campus Monday about the life-saving power of service.

“As a reporter, I always seek to break news,” Pitts said to more than 100 people at Union South’s Varsity Hall, as part of the Distinguished Lecture Series program by the Wisconsin Union. “We now know exactly, in the city of Madison, how many people are not Big Ten basketball fans.”

In his 30 years of TV news experience, Pitts has served as chief national correspondent for the “CBS Evening News” since 2009, an embedded reporter for the Iraq War and a contributor to “60 Minutes,” the most-watched news program in the nation.

Raised by a single mother in a working class neighborhood in Baltimore, Pitt was illiterate until age 12 and had a persistent stutter.

“His career itself is remarkable, but he had to overcome so many obstacles to even begin,” UW journalism professor Lewis Friedland said. “To go from there to becoming the chief national correspondent for CBS was truly an incredible achievement.” 

Besides having first-hand experience during some of the nation’s most critical moments, Pitts said there is a darker side of his profession.

As of now, he has had to watch 49 people die.

“I make a living covering death…I’ve made peace with that aspect of my profession,” Pitts said.

But he said he did not allow himself to be indifferent to the pain and disaster he witnessed because he knows indifference can be a deadly weapon.

Addressing the college students in the room, Pitts urged them to use their privilege of college education to serve others in need.

“My message for you tonight, particularly to the students here, is to not be indifferent,” Pitts said. “Do not be indifferent to the opportunities to serve.”  

Pitts said he learned the importance of service early on in his life when a first-year English professor stopped him just as he was signing to withdraw from college due to his continual struggle with speaking.

Meeting Pitts for the first time then, the young English professor eventually helped him through his college years.

“She stepped out for me, on nothing,” Pitts said. “She did not only change my life – she saved my life.”

Pitts eventually returned the favor, not to her, but to an 11-year-old girl he met during a visit to a charter school in Baltimore to talk about the importance of staying in school.

The little girl named Pilar asked him a question that no child in this world should ever ask, Pitts said. 

“She asked me, ‘Mr. Pitts, where do you go, where do you hide, when your world hurts too much?'” Pitts said. 

Pitts later found out the girl’s mother abandoned her at age 10 and a neighbor sexually abused her before she was 11 years old.

He said he eventually was able to help Pilar out of the situation, but stressed Pilar’s story can happen right here in Madison.

“More than likely there are Pilars in Madison who desperately need someone to come into their lives to tell them ‘I will step out on nothing for you’,” Pitts said. “My message to all of you is to take every opportunity be the one in your community to say ‘You can come to me.’ because it can save someone’s life.”