Capitol to host UW, UW-extension, UW Colleges

Members of different University of Wisconsin campuses will bring their viewpoints to the Capitol this Thursday during the University of Wisconsin, UW-Extension and UW Colleges Day, which will showcase research and activities from each of the three groups. 
Demonstrations and displays will be shown from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Capitol rotunda. 

The event will provide the opportunity to share stories about the positive impact that UW, UW-Extension and UW Colleges have on the lives of citizens throughout Wisconsin, according to Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney. He said he would describe the day as an educational and engagement-type process. 

Sweeney stressed the importance of the day representing the three-part partnership and the continued effort of statewide outreach for all groups involved. The event will engage state legislators, staff and those visiting the Capitol, he added. 

“It’s important for all of us to reach out to legislators and visitors to the State Capitol and share the fun things [and] the exciting things going on at these three entities,” Sweeney said. 

The Capitol is a natural location to represent the State of Wisconsin, Sweeney said. He said the event Thursday is not just about Madison or Dane County, but the entire state. 

Special Assistant to the Chancellor of UW-Extension and UW Colleges Rosemary Potter said she thinks it is important for the event to be held at the Capitol because the location makes it easy and convenient for legislators to attend.

“Because our scope is so big, it’s really important for legislators to understand all aspects of our work,” Potter said. “We like to consider ourselves a resource for legislators and a resource for their constituents.” 

The focus of UW-Extension and UW Colleges is to represent the Wisconsin Idea, Potter said. She said as the outreach component of the university, they strive to take knowledge from the university and bring it to all areas of the state. 

The day will incorporate many different demonstrations and activities that display the breadth of activities taking place on campus and elsewhere, Sweeney said. He cited cheese, sausage making and weather as examples. 

According to a UW statement, there will be over 30 exploration stations to demonstrate UW research. 

Each exploration station will feature a certain theme, Sweeney said, displaying research and studies from UW, UW-Extension and UW Colleges. 

This is not the first effort by UW, UW-Extension and UW Colleges to put on an event like this, Sweeney said. He said they have done things like this in different ways, but they have not always been framed the same as what will take place at the Capitol. 

“I think people will find these demonstrations quite interesting,” Sweeney said. “They are usually very well-received by those who attend this kind of event.” 

Sweeney said places like the Wisconsin State Fair and other various locals have served to put on a demonstration-based event such as the one to take place Thursday. 

A legislative breakfast hosted by UW-Extension and UW Colleges Thursday morning, as another aspect of the day, will highlight the Division of Entrepreneurship and Economic Development, according to Potter. She said the focus of the breakfast deals with how to grow small businesses in Wisconsin.