UW to restructure administrative office with new flexibility

The University of Wisconsin will attempt to streamline the Human Resources department on campus – a move that not only uses recently granted flexibilities, but also may cut unnecessary spending. 

As part of the flexibility granted to the university through the 2011-13 state budget, the project aims to restructure the current pay system and create a more economically competitive department, according to the project’s website.

Darrell Bazzell, vice chancellor for administration, said although the project came about as part of the state budget, the project is not monetarily-based.

“This is not a cost-saving project,” he said. “It’s based on the flexibility which allows us to create a whole new system with appropriate pay structures and employee opportunities to engage in learning.”

Huron Consulting Group will be assisting the HR department on the redesign, but the project will be led by university staff, according to the project’s website. Huron Group has also worked with UW faculty recently on a project streamlining the campus budget to reduce unnecessary spending.

This group will be assisting committee members in setting benchmarks for the project as well as identifying opportunities for improvement, Bazzell said.

Bazzell said a large hope for the new design is that it would alleviate the current inability of the HR department to reward staff with appropriate compensation and recognition. He added that there are no specific changes planned to fulfill this hope, but other institutional goals have been set.

“The purpose of the current project is to better meet the needs of a research institution,” Bazzell said. “We are hoping to reshape policies; specifics will be worked on in coming months.”

Bazzell also said while all current HR structures are subject to change, any major changes pertaining to faculty are not expected.

According to the website, employees should not expect a decrease in salaries, wages or benefits as the project aims to keep the university competitive.

While the HR redesign does not directly affect students, Bazzell said their input is desirable as many students are university employees as well.

Bazzell said the project stresses transparency as a way to include students in the process.

The project will also implement a communication team to identify other methods to keep the campus informed, Bazzell said.

The HR redesign does not currently have a timeline as to when the restructuring will be concluded due to there being aspects of the project that must be completed before further progress is made.

“There are several pieces to the project, and the part we are working on now needs the approval of the Legislature before we can proceed,” Bazzell said.

Approval by the Legislature is hoped to be granted before the end of the academic year, he said.

Students can access information about the redesign on the project’s website and through open forums.