UW student Tommy Kuehn dies of meningitis

A UW student died Thursday from what appears to be a case of bacterial meningitis, the second such death at UW in the past year.

Senior Thomas Kuehn, 24, was diagnosed with the disease at St. Mary’s Hospital Jan. 14 and died several hours later. The rare infection affects the lining of the brain.

“We offer our deepest condolences to their family and friends,” UW Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a statement regarding the death of Kuehn and another student.

Kuehn’s family also spoke in the statement, saying they have received a large outpouring of support from both the UW community and from those in their home in Stoughton.

“Tommy was a vibrant young man with such promise; he was loved by many,” they said of their son, who was on the spirit squad and hoped to go to medical school.

There are two types of meningitis – the bacterial form cannot be transmitted through things like touching doorknobs, said University Health Services Director Sarah Van Orman, and the bacteria itself is not that uncommon. She added recent studies suggest up to 10 percent of people already carry the bacteria in their nose.

“We don’t really understand all the factors, but somehow the bacteria goes from just being there to … causing a very severe reaction,” Van Orman said.

The bacteria can only be passed through direct contact with an infected person’s oral and nasal secretions. People close to Kuehn, including his roommates, will be given antibiotics, Van Orman said. She added only those who were in very close contact with him would have any serious risk of contracting the illness.

In 2010, there were six cases of meningitis in Dane County, leading to two deaths. Kuehn’s death comes less than a year after UW senior Neha Suri also died of the disease, however, Van Orman said the two cases are unrelated.

Statistics show for a population of 100,000 people there is roughly one case per year.  She added the rates were much higher before a vaccine was created. 

The vaccine protects against most forms of bacterial and viral meningitis. It is estimated somewhere between 60 and 70 percent of students at UW are currently vaccinated.

While the disease is very rare, Van Orman suggested all UW students check their vaccination records to confirm they have been protected, and those who have not should make arrangements to get the vaccine.

“Because this happens so quickly and rapidly it can be such a frightening illness,” Van Orman said. “But … people don’t need to be afraid … it’s a very rare thing.”

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.