Car on semi-truck accident leaves UW student dead

A UW junior was killed in a car crash in Northern Wisconsin last Wednesday after a car she was the passenger in collided with a semi.

Anna Shoemaker, 20, suffered severe head injuries on Jan. 12 when a car driven by a friend collided with a semitrailer near the intersection of U.S. Highway 63 and Old U.S. 63 in Bayfield County, according to a report from the Bayfield County Sheriff’s Department.

The report said the driver of the car, traveling south, lost control and crossed into the northbound traffic lane. Icy conditions may have caused the crash.

After the 7:53 a.m. accident, Shoemaker was airlifted to St. Mary’s Hospital in Duluth, Minn., where she was listed in critical condition. She was pronounced dead from severe head injuries at 1 p.m.

“We’re deeply saddened by the loss of two members of our community as we begin this spring semester,” Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a statement regarding the death of Shoemaker and another student.

The driver of the car was transported to the Memorial Medical Center in Ashland, Wis., and was listed in stable condition, the report said. Both women were originally from Hudson, a Wisconsin city on the Mississippi River not far from Minneapolis. The 51-year-old semi driver sustained no injuries from the accident.

Shoemaker’s family set up a CaringBridge website for friends and family to post and share memories of their departed friend.

“Anna was our pride and joy,” a statement on the website said. “Please pray for us as we rely on God to bring us peace.”

The website adds Shoemaker was an organ donor, and after her death her heart, liver, one lung, kidneys and pancreas were donated to people in Minnesota – helping save the lives of six people.

“Wonderful news…,” the statement said. “Anna lives on through them.”

A funeral is set for Tuesday, Jan. 18 at 10 a.m. at the Faith Community Church in Hudson, 777 Carmichael Road. Attendees are being asked to wear red Badger gear to celebrate Shoemaker’s love for the team.