UPDATED: Dane County Sheriff’s deputies located at Dane County Jail test positive for COVID-19

As of March 31, four Sheriff’s deputies have tested positive
Daniel Yun

Two Dane County Sheriff’s deputies at the Dane County Jail tested positive for COVID-19, according to a press release from the Sheriff’s Office.

One deputy tested positive March 28, two days after two inmates tested positive. The deputy had been in contact with the two inmates, according to the press release.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2020/03/26/covid-19-daily-updates-10-confirmed-deaths-in-wisconsin-114-confirmed-cases-in-dane-county/

The second deputy tested positive for COVID-19 on March 29, according to the release. Both deputies are now quarantined in their homes.

“As first responders, our deputies are prepared every day to run into dangerous situations,” Sheriff Dave Mahoney said in the statement. “What is different during this pandemic, is that the danger is oftentimes taken home to their families and loved ones. That is exactly what makes these men and women heroes. We will strive every minute of this pandemic to protect our protectors, to ensure they are prepared to answer the call to service.”

March 26, the Dane County Sheriff’s Office announced in a press release that Sheriff David Mahoney was deciding which inmates, particularly older inmates or inmates with underlying health issues, could be released and possibly be placed on GPS monitoring.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2020/03/30/online-returning-spring-breakers-instructed-to-self-quarantine/

The press release said the Sheriff’s Office will continue to monitor deputies and inmates for symptoms while utilizing preventative measures within the jail.

On March 31, two more Sheriff’s deputies working at the jail tested postitive, both men, ages 27 and 46. They have been sent home to self-quarantine, according to an updated press release sent from the Sheriff’s Office. Both deputies

To date, 11 deputies have been tested for the virus. While four tested positive, five tested negative and two await results.

Dane County released the first jail inmate to test positive for COVID-19 from jail, and they’re isolating the second inmate in a segregation cell, according to the release.

UPDATE: This article was updated April 1 at 4:15 p.m. to reflect the two new deputies who tested positive.