Community celebrates Tony Robinson birthday, presses for systemic changes

Family members hope community can work to prevent another tragedy

Community members gathered outside the Capitol for a candlelight vigil commemorating the birthday of Tony Robinson, who died in an officer-involved shooting seven months ago.

Around 60 community members, activists and family members gathered to mourn Robinson’s death Sunday, what would have been his 20th birthday.

Robinson’s mother Andrea Irwin and others spoke about the community’s support and continued struggle for justice.

Matthew Kenny, the Madison Police Department officer responsible for Robinson’s death, was cleared of wrongdoing following investigations from both the Dane County District Attorney and MPD.

No indictment for officer who fatally shot Tony Robinson

The vigil began with the crowd holding up candles and chanting “Tony Robinson,” followed by Robinson’s younger sister and cousin leading a sing along of “Happy Birthday.”

Lorien Carter, Robinson’s aunt, spoke about the family’s mixed feelings surrounding his birthday.

“This is a day of celebration for the life that he had, but it’s also a day of mourning for the life that he doesn’t get to continue,” Carter said.

A tearful Irwin spoke about the emotional turmoil leading up to Robinson’s birthday and her family’s efforts to bring about change within the criminal justice system.

She said she is seeking justice for both her son and the next victim of police violence.

City files response to Tony Robinson suit, denies liability for teen’s death

Irwin implored the community to take greater action to secure the concrete change needed to ensure a similar tragedy is not repeated.

“Those who stand by and do nothing are just as guilty as the ones who do the crime itself, period,” Irwin said.

Young Gifted and Black Coalition organizer Matthew Braunginn said no progress had been made in the pursuit of justice for Robinson. He said disparities in incarceration rates and the achievement gap pointed to more business as usual in race relations in Madison.

“Change is a long ways off, YGB doesn’t do this for ourselves, we do this for our children’s children,” Braunginn said. “Not many civil rights leaders have lived to see the change they fought for.”

Braunginn said community must push for community control over police and criticized the lack of responsiveness of the current police chief.

He said investment must be made in the black community to ensure a positive change in race relations and criticized Mayor Paul Soglin’s choice to spend city funds on projects, such as Judge Doyle Square.

City Council approves $200 million Judge Doyle Square project

The Rev. Chris Long concluded the vigil by conducting a lighthearted Stevie Wonder rendition of “Happy Birthday” with the assembled crowd.