Dickey acclimates to new position

University of Wisconsin law professor Walter Dickey is settling into his role as the new chair of the UW Athletic Board.

Dickey enters this position with two-years experience serving on the board and as a member of the UW faculty since 1976.

Among other responsibilities, the UW Athletic Board is in charge of the contracts and management of coaching staff, pricing and policies regarding athletic tickets, athletic budgeting and schedules of athletic events.

Dickey said his main focus for the athletic board at the beginning of this academic year is to discuss the missions of both the university and the athletic department, and come to an understanding about the function of the athletic board within those two spheres.

"I think it's really important that the board have a kind of collective understanding of what it's about," Dickey said.

Dickey said he plans to communicate with Athletic Director Barry Alvarez regarding athletic issues, and ensure that there's a cooperative relationship between the athletic board and the athletic department.

"We obviously want to collaborate to advance the mission of the athletic department. I think one of the things we're going to do right from the outset is talk about the values that both underlie the university and the athletic department," Dickey said.

Having had two sons participate in intercollegiate soccer at the University of Chicago, Dickey said he has an idea of what parents and students want out of an athletic experience at the collegiate level, and said he will do what he sees fit to ensure that UW athletes have as good an experience in athletics as his sons did.

"When you entrust your two most precious people in the world to intercollegiate athletics, you take notice and want to know what's happening to them," Dickey said. "It enhanced their college lives. If you want your own kids to have that great experience, you want other [student athletes] to have it."

Regarding current issues facing the Athletic Board, such as the new system for obtaining a student football ticket, Dickey said he feels things are working out very well for UW and its students.

"I wasn't sure whether [the new football voucher system] was really going to be workable and whether or not we were going to get the students into the seats they wanted with the dispatch that seems to me to be desirable, but so far it seems to be working. It looks good, so I think my worry had no foundation, and I'm glad to hear that."

Dickey graduated from UW with an undergraduate degree in 1968, returning to UW again for law school. He graduated from law school in 1971, and said he has always been a fan of Badger sports.

"Having been around [UW] for as many years as I have, I've sat in Camp Randall in section O and cheered on the Badgers many times," Dickey said.

Before becoming a law professor at UW, Dickey worked as both the head of the Wisconsin prison system and as its principal attorney. Upon arriving at UW, Dickey has taught criminal law and is responsible for the clinical programs held within the criminal law program. Dickey is also the faculty director of UW's Remington Center for Research, Education and Service in Criminal Justice.

Steve Malchow, athletic communications director at UW, speaks enthusiastically of Dickey's appointment as chair.

"I think he's certainly qualified," Malchow said. "He's very well versed in the issues … [and] he's had great experience running large organizations, and I think he'll be a valuable contributor to our department."