Doyle signs ‘Amie’s Law’ Monday

Gov. Jim Doyle signed a law Monday permitting law enforcement officials to release information about sex offenders who committed crimes as juveniles.

Although an identical bill failed to gain momentum within the state Legislature last year, recent events have made Assembly Bill 99, or “Amie’s Law,” a pertinent issue for lawmakers.

“Amie’s Law” is named for AmieLee Zyla, who was sexually assaulted by a family friend when she was eight-years-old. The perpetrator, Joshua Wade, was 14-years-old at the time and served time in a juvenile delinquent center. Because he made no progress in treatment, Wade was kept at the facility until he was 18.

Once released, authorities were not permitted to give the community notification of his presence because Wade’s crimes were committed while he was a juvenile. At 23-years-old, Wade is now facing multiple counts of child enticement and repeated sexual assault of a minor.

“When [Wade] appeared on the Zyla’s television screen, they were shocked, hurt and appalled that this person was allowed to do this again.” Kevin Usealman, communications director for Rep. Mark Gundrum, R-New Berlin, said.

This led to a fervent effort by the Zyla family to help the previously dismissed AB 99 gain traction in the state Legislature. During the last legislative session, police approached Rep. Donald Friske, R-Merrill, with concerns about their ability to protect the public from sex offenders under current law.

After Friske proposed the initial legislation, it became evident there was not enough political will to push this bill into law. After the legislation had been redrafted for this session, the story of Joshua Wade’s arrest gained media attention.

“Law enforcement had been calling for this change — fortunately we were ready with this legislation so we could move forward,” Friske’s Chief of Staff Tim Gary said. “The family was involved in coming forward with Amie’s story, and she was instrumental in the push to acquire co-sponsors [for this bill].”

Both Amie Zyla and her father testified before the committee bringing this bill to the Assembly floor for a vote. Gary noted that the family’s testimony during the committee meeting had an impact in getting the bill passed.

“Their testimony and contact with the legislators put a real face on a real problem,” Gary said. “They were heavily involved in the passage and we are really thankful for that.”

Critics of the bill complain it treats juvenile defendants like adults, denying them an opportunity to correct mistakes made in their youth. Both Gary and Usealman said the law gives the local sheriff departments discretion when it comes to decide who is a danger to the community. However, the law does not place any guidelines regarding whom the police department labels a threat.

Gary does not believe police discretion is a major issue, adding that informing residents of a sex offender’s residence in a community often creates an uproar.

“Law enforcement does not have an interest in crying wolf over a non-threatening registrant on the sex offender list,” Gary said.