The Big Pink to showcase new, redefined sound at The Frequency with characteristic ‘big beats’

British indie-electronic band are advocates for giving back, hope to attract new fans with upcoming Madison performance on March 9
Herald Archives

British indie-electronic band The Big Pink not only seeks to expand and diversify their sound, but also to give back. With their fresh North American tour, they encourage their fans to do the same.

Set to perform at the Frequency March 9, The Big Pink is pit-stopping in Madison along with major metropolitan cities, including Montreal, Chicago and Los Angeles.

The Big Pink first got together in 2008. It now consists of four members, vocalist Robbie Furze, vocalist Mary Charteris, bass guitarist Jesse Russell and drummer Free Hallas. Band members said they are looking forward to visiting Madison, as well as other cities they have not been to before. But Madison’s smaller size can provide the band and audience with a musically intimate encounter.

“We don’t usually come to these small places,” Furze said. “It can be a more intense experience.”

But regardless of the city or venue, The Big Pink always strives to put on the best show possible. Indie-electronic may be the band’s official classification, but Furze said, “there’s something for everyone,” as their music comes from varied musical influences.

The Big Pink’s music is contagious and will induce instant foot tapping and singing along, particularly in the infectious rhythm of “Hightimes,” a song found off their new EP Empire Underground, which is set for release March 4. The band has long developed its sound, yet they stay true to their original “big beats, guitars and synths,” Furze said.

But Furze said he thinks this is going to be the “next level of Big Pink.” With a more redefined sound, their musicianship is better than it has ever been in the past.

The band recently released the third out of four songs on the EP, “Decoy” — the only song yet to come is the track titled, “Empire Underground.” The Big Pink has also implemented visually creative symbolism into their latest music video for “Hightimes.”

According to Furze, the band drew inspiration from “post-apocalyptic variations of symbols from the ’90s and 2000s,” with the idea to “take elements of the video and make it into our own 3D world,” Furze said.

Reminiscent of old punk rock records, Metric is bringing their ‘geeky sonic experiment’ to Orpheum

The Big Pink currently aims to continue to develop its sound and image as a band and expand their fan base. Musical aspirations, however, are not the only objectives of the band.

Along with other musicians, the band works closely with a charity called SOS, in which people can sponsor a child in need. The band hopes to give back and that others to do the same.

Aligning with their goals of reaching out, Furze encourages college students wishing to pursue music to push through and hold on to their aspirations.

“Take time in making music you love,” Furze said.

The Big Pink’s North American tour is likely to attract new fans, particularly indie lovers here in Madison, with their redefined sound. With their public efforts to give back to the community, it will be hardly surprising if they draw in a fair amount of passionate folks.