Up-and-coming MisterWives can’t wait to spend ‘insane holiday in insane city’

Bassist Will Hehir talks yoga pants mishaps, reinventing songs onstage before return to Madison for Freakfest X
MisterWives.+
Contributed by MisterWives.
MisterWives.

With a Badger game starting off this Halloween weekend, Madisonians will need some explosive shows at Freakfest X to keep the red-and-white party going. Luckily, newly famous MisterWives’ infectious energy may provide the perfect conclusion, sure to make everyone’s post-game rallies worth it.

Currently on their “The Scrapbook Tour,” the MisterWives have had their hands full with a packed schedule of shows, but they are loving every second of it. The band’s dedication to reinventing their songs onstage not only bolsters this love of live performance, but keeps tracks fresh for audiences as well. 

Timeflies surprise bartends at Kollege Klub, declares ‘Wisconsin love is real’

“We wouldn’t want to just play the album really loud at a venue,” Misterwives bassist Will Hehir said. “Instead we try to come up with a perspective of what a live version of a song should sound like.”

Thanks to this vigorous touring, the self-proclaimed “luckiest people in the world” have been able to spread their music to many people in a short amount of time. Luckily, according to Hehir, the band rarely gets sick of one another.

But that’s not to say there haven’t been some minor setbacks. While on tour they once accidentally left their guitarist, Marc Campbell, at a truck stop while he — of course — left his cell phone in his bunk. The story is something straight out of a movie.

“For some reason he was wearing his girlfriend’s yoga pants when we were leaving San Francisco,” Hehir said. “He randomly met these people in San Francisco who were going on a yoga retreat in Portland and they were kind enough to drive him up. It was hectic, but all’s well that ends well.”

That laid back, roll-with-the-punches attitude is exactly why MisterWives are so charming. They are incredibly grateful for the opportunities they have been given, and are the kind of band you want to meet and hang out with after the show is over.

UK’s Glass Animals finds inspiration for eccentric sound in midnight muses

Turns out, the feeling is mutual. According to Hehir, the band’s favorite part of shows is being able to meet their fans, who they see as the people who make it possible for them to put on these shows.

With such an affable outlook on newfound fame, it’s no surprise the band has even talked about wearing costumes at the upcoming Halloween show.

But along with the hype surrounding the holiday, MisterWives are also excited about University of Wisconsin’s crowd. Despite any college town creating a certain crowd dynamic, their tour manager, Alex Feld, also just happens to be a UW alum.

Whenever the band plays in Madison, Feld “freaks out,” Hehir said.

“Whenever a college is so infused within a city the kids will go pretty crazy,” Hehir said. “So it’s always a lot of fun being at a college show or some place like Madison where it’s kind of embedded in the culture.”

Local band Lovely Socialite finds experimental inspiration in Twin Peaks, vintage advertisements

Beside Freakfest, there’s even more to look forward to from MisterWives. Lead singer Mandy Lee Duffy has been writing while on the road. Once their tour is over, they plan on putting their heads together and further developing some new music.

Until then, students should perfect their costumes and make sure dancing shoes are ready to move.

“We’re very excited to spend such an insane holiday in such an insane city,” Hehir said.