Timeflies surprise bartends at Kollege Klub, declares ‘Wisconsin love is real’

Pop-duo Cal Shapiro, Rob Resnick pop into famous bar to mix drinks, pass out CDs last Thursday
Sam Sklar
Resnick of Timeflies

With barely 24-hour notice, Timeflies announced on Twitter that they would be passing through the Kollege Klub. But they were not only visiting the collegiate hot spot, but bartending for fans in light of their new album release.

“Wisconsin has been kind of a corner stone in our career,” Cal Shapiro said. “The KK has always been particularly incredible to us — we can come out here, we can bartend and we can just have a good time.”

As 12 a.m. rolled around, Shapiro and Rob Resnick stepped out from behind the bar to begin the party last week. Beers in hand, they made their way across the jam-packed room, chatting with fans and handing out signed CDs.

With no formal training in mixology, the duo had some help from the KK’s more experienced staff when it came to bartending. Though Shapiro and Resnick weren’t crafting cosmos, they were visibly well-versed in pouring shots and rails.

Who the f*** is playing Freakfest?

“Basically, my motto is: If you’re not ordering straight drinks, I don’t know what you’re doing,” Shapiro said.

The duo said they owe these drink-pouring abilities to past experiences working the bar at the KK, a bar with which they’ve maintained a highly positive and long-standing relationship.

Timeflies has visited the KK five times, bartending during two of those excursions. But, of course, they don’t remember any of the visits, Resnick said.

Though 2 a.m. bar-close brought the party to a halt, the guys assured everyone that there are more good times to be had, as they are set to return for this year’s Freakfest and plan to continue their tight-knit relationship with the KK.

“We’re going to be doing some more stuff with the KK going forward,” Shapiro said. “Jordan [the KK’s owner] is the shit — he runs the best bar in all the country. This is the best bar experience you can have as a college student. Wisconsin, you should feel lucky.”

Resnick could also not hold back his KK adoration, acknowledging its coast-to-coast appeal.

“I love it here,” Resnick said. “KK for life. Although New Jersey is the best state in the country and I live in New York, so I have to shout out to New York, Wisconsin love is real.” 

Updated Oct. 1, 11:53 a.m.