Rockin’ and rollin’ to support a worthy cause

Local musicians and roller derby players will be teaming up to support the tragedy in Japan. Mad Rollin’ Dolls, Madison’s premier roller derby league, is presenting the fundraiser Thursday night at the Majestic, dubbed “Rollin” for the Rising Sun.”

“It’s part of our league and our culture to give back to our community,” said Carol Poole, a roller derby player and organizer of the event.

The Mad Rollin’ Dolls are also involved with other charitable endeavors throughout the year as part of their community outreach, including involvements with the Boys and Girls Club, Red Cross, Girl Scouts of America and Rape Crisis Center. They also donate a percentage of their proceeds from every event to a different local charity.

Otherwise known as Cannonball-Z on the team, Poole felt a special connection to the tragedy, having lived in Japan for five years.

“I think it’s going to be a great opportunity for students to be a part of a greater cause, but it’s also a good introduction to a lot of really good local bands,” Poole said. “I think it would be a really good time to be introduced to some new local music.”

The night will feature four local bands, including Venus in Furs, which features Mad Rollin’ Dolls player Elle Machete on guitar. Venus in Furs, who describes the band’s genre as “gritty disco dance surf rock,” provides energizing melodies driven by solid beats and bass lines.

The three other bands performing include Underground Day 1, Early Thomas and The Nod, which features Matt Gerding, owner of the Majestic and collaborator in planning the event.

Early Thomas blasts indie rock through soul-filled vocals, catchy guitar riffs and a driving tempo. On a more extreme level, Underground Day 1 from Pardeeville rocks out with gritty vocals and lyrics and a dark musical texture, bordering on metal rock. The Nod is set to serve as a nice juxtaposition to the darker Underground Day 1, featuring much more lighthearted indie pop with light instrumentation, influenced by both rock and folk music.

“All of the bands that are playing are really upbeat and fun bands to listen to,” Poole said.

With the help of local businesses the fundraiser transformed from an idea to a reality. “It’s been really cool – Roman Candle is donating pizza to feed the bands and the volunteers, The Majestic is donating their space, all these bands are donating their time, all these volunteers from Mad Rollin” Dolls working the event,” Poole said. “So it’s been a really awesome collaborative effort.”

They united relatively quickly – she began planning the event less than a week after the tragedy.

Poole stressed that organizers of the event want as many people to come as possible, even if they are students on a tight budget. “We want to encourage students to come,” Poole said. “It’s a $10 suggest donation, but if they only have $2 and they want to come in the door, it doesn’t really matter.”

In addition to drink specials throughout the night, the Mad Rollin’ Dolls will also be selling custom-designed show t-shirts and donated crafts.

“I think it’s going to be a really fun, high-energy night,” Poole said. “And it’s going to be a great community event.”

Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m. for those aged 18 and up. The suggested donation is $10 at the door. All proceeds will go to the American Red Cross to support earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. For more information, visit majesticmadison.com.