Latin jazz legend heats up Madison

Eddie_Palmieri
With a career spanning over 50 years, latin jazz legend Eddie Palmieri is noted as one of the original pioneers of this unique dual-genre incarnation.[/media-credit]

Temperatures may be falling fast, but Madison will be warming back up Friday night with some hot Latin jazz. As part of the Isthmus Jazz Series, the Eddie Palmieri Latin Jazz Band will perform Friday evening at the Wisconsin Union Theater.

Palmieri, a world-renowned, nine-time Grammy award-winning pianist and bandleader, is famous for mixing elements of high-energy Latin music with jazz styles. “The Latin jazz format is a very exciting fusion, and I predict that it’s the fusion of the 21st century,” Palmieri said in a recent interview with The Badger Herald.

Palmieri is considered a pioneer for the genre with a career spanning more than 50 years. His first Grammy award was for The Sun of Latin Music in 1975, which was the first time the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences recognized Latin music.

Having performed for many college campuses, Palmieri notes the amount of energy his music creates for his audiences. “When they hear the music, you see a lot of students who might want to get up and dance in the aisles,” he said.

What inspires this desire to dance? The beat behind it. For students and audience members who may not be familiar with the intricacies of rhythmical patterns used in Latin jazz like the clave or montuno, Palmieri and his band will explain some of the rhythmical patterns they use, as well as the instrumentation of the group and the origins of the genre.

The rhythmical patterns originated in Africa, which were brought over to the Caribbean, particularly the island of Cuba, where it evolved into “the most incredible dance patterns that the world has ever heard and danced to,” Palmieri said.

From there, Cuban music made its way into orchestras and eventually dance music. This had an influence on musicians in New York City in the late 1940s and early ’50s, including Latin music pioneers Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez and Charlie Palmieri, Eddie’s older brother.

The concert will also feature selections from three of his Latin jazz albums: Palmas, Arete and Vortex. Both Palmas and Arete were nominated for Grammy awards in the Latin Jazz category, which Palmieri helped to create himself.

The band includes Palmieri on piano, Milwaukee-native Brian Lynch on trumpet, Louis Fouch? on alto sax, Luques Curtis on bass, Jose Claussell on timbales, Little Johnny Rivero on congas and Orlando Vega on bongo.

Palmieri showcases all of the musicians, each receiving a similar amount of playing time. “I feature each [musician in the band]; there’s no degree of intimidation within the orchestra of not allowing these players to play,” Palmieri said. “If you carry an exciting orchestra, you want the public to hear them display their talent.”

Palmieri’s style is sometimes classified as “salsa,” which is an unfair generalization. According to Palmieri, Latin genres have all been greatly oversimplified over the last 50 years. Rhythmical patterns all have their own proper names, each creating a unique subgenre.

But the umbrella term “salsa” is often used, grouping all these unique styles together. This in turn has affected the structure and instrumentation for Latin performances today, many of which constantly and exclusively feature vocalists.

“The structure of instrumental mambos need to always be exciting, and that means by being able to present the rhythm section and have solos between the instrumentalists,” Palmieri said. “The essence of a true dance orchestra has really disappeared.”

But Palmieri is continuing in the genre’s traditions, featuring instrumentalists and the rhythm section equally.

Abounding energy is one of the most important elements in keeping Latin jazz alive, and Palmieri’s band drives the music in full force. “We generate a tremendous amount of excitement, and you’ll hear it when you see the orchestra,” Palmieri said.

The Eddie Palmieri Jazz Band will play Nov. 5 at the Union Theater at 8 p.m. Ticket prices range from $20-$36, $10 with a student ID.