Bareilles tells critics to ‘kiss off,’ is listeners’ delight in latest product

sarabareilles
Singer/songwriter\’s sophomore album, Kaleidoscope Heart, is sure to enchant listeners, while still leaving room for the tongue-in-cheek humor that worked so well for her first hit single, \”Love Song.\”[/media-credit]

Sara Bareilles is back with her sophomore album, wielding that distinctive contralto voice we’ve been able to pinpoint in movie soundtracks, TV shows, commercials and the radio since “Love Song” made its debut. Not only are Bareilles’ vocals recognizable by the masses, but her latest, Kaleidoscope Heart, shows that she is perfectly capable of turning wit and wisdom into pure musical artistry, and will be for albums to come. The album, coming after an inspirational hiatus, is a banner of longevity the artist carries in proving that her first, Little Voice, was not also her last.

The first single to be released was called “King of Anything,” followed closely by “Uncharted.” So far, “King of Anything” is ruling the rest of the songs on the album in popularity. This fan favorite has titillating bursts of sound for background vocals (by Bareilles herself, of course), which gives the up-and-down imagery of a jack-in-the box — blending well with the playful and uncouth content of the lyrics. She sings in one verse, “You’re so busy making maps with my name on them in all caps /You got the talking down, just not the listening” and then always rounds up the chorus with “So you dare tell me who to be? /Who died and made you king of anything?” Bareilles said in an interview with NPR First Listen that she enjoys tight, intricate harmonies like the Andrews Sisters, and likes to write “happy tunes that tell people to kiss off.” This passive aggressiveness is evident in both the music and lyrics of “King of Anything” where she challenges: “Let me hold your crown, babe” and goes off into a series of lighthearted hooks in the conclusion. Perhaps, like “Love Song,” this attitude is directed at the music industry itself.

As far as the second in command of sorts, “Uncharted,” the song takes a more straightforward charm. Its constant piano accompaniment is rhythmic and energizing, almost musical theater-esque in its liveliness. Bareilles’ singing is confident, and the start-and-stop dynamic changes hit the listener with the strength and power of “Gravity” — as in the song from Little Voice, not the force of nature.

If Bareilles beloveds have been waiting for something as striking and pure as the “Winter Song” she wrote with Ingrid Michaelson, the wait is not much longer. The titular song “Kaleidoscope Heart” is not so far from the serenity that track inspired. The simplistic piece literally has 12 short lines of lyric — so very poetic.

Two minor snags include “Hold My Heart” and “Not Alone.” “Hold My Heart” describes something closer than holding hands; it is about Bareilles’ searching for something, someone with the compassion and understanding of how to take care of her. Something so tender should have something more inspirational than the backbeat deriving from a ’90s soft rock ballad. And “Not Alone” unfortunately remains wishy-washy and lacking despite the wise words about overcoming fears.

Nevertheless, Kaleidoscope Heart is a well put-together album. The recording sounds beautiful, and it is clear that Bareilles put her true thoughts and energies into the songwriting, singing and instrumentation of each song — rather than succumbing to the black-and-white desires of record producers, as other singers before her have been wont to do.

Kaleidoscope Heart is nearly as multifaceted as the object its title describes, sporting an array of Bareilles’ talents, the highs and lows of her range, her light and dark sounds.