Power Dressing: The beginner’s essential guide to fall

I once heard that predicting what will be in style for the coming seasons is more than just a wild guess; it is what “feels right” for the time. When studying abroad in Paris last summer, I got a chance to discuss this topic with a professional trend forecaster. In that position, a person researches what’s happening not only in design but also major events, movies, etc. that will be coming to light at that time.

A trend forecaster can be hired to look over 10 years ahead to predict what the consumer will want in the future. Today, though, I’m not looking that far in advance. Today, I will be your own personal trend forecaster to explain what the new “it” looks will be this fall. After much research, I have started to shape my own version of what will look right on students here in Madison.

This season brings a look I’d like to call “Power Dressing.” It’s about dressing to exude strength and confidence to your peers. It’s harder said than done to get this mix of classic and aggressive, but here are a few trends that will help you achieve the look.

For women, there are usually a few key pieces that are the new “Uggs” every season. An emphasis on outerwear, military style and the return of animal prints in faux fur will be some of the main statements to get while they are hot. In all shapes and silhouettes, fur has hit the fashion scene in a big way this fall. From full coats to shoes and handbags, it is on every current magazine and website. To make a big statement, pair a simple fur vest over a neutral long sleeve shirt and pants. If a vest is something you don’t think you could pull off, then look into buying a coat or boot with fur lining (which will be a plus when Wisconsin winter hits).

Next, don’t be afraid to try animal prints. Leopard is making a strong comeback, and I swear by it when I am looking to grab a boy’s attention. Have fun with this trend and pair it with other prints if you dare. The main focus for outerwear is on structured and classic pieces, so bring out your trusty pea coats or invest in a slouchy trench. On the bottom, skinny pants and leggings are still a big win. This year, many designers are putting a spin on the skinny by giving it a military aesthetic. Look for dark green and warm saddle-brown colored pants with buckles or ties at the ankles.

The bolder the better is the theme for women’s accessories this fall. Tuck those skinny pants into a new pair of this season’s “work” boots. These boots have an industrial feel with a feminine touch. Look for ones that are darker colored with buckles or laces up the front and a big heel in the back. When the weather turns for the worse, look for oversized tube scarves — scarves made to be one large circle with no ends, which you can wrap around your neck and let hang. For jewelry, pick out large and bedazzled cuffs to complete the look.

Overall for women, the look is about being classic yet edgy, which is also a theme on the men’s side.

In the words of Neil Patrick Harris, this fall it’s time for men to “suit up.” It’s not about dressing to the nines in full professional attire, rather mixing your casual pieces with your nicer ones to look sharp. On the fall runways, blazers of every style, pattern and color were screaming out as the fall trend. Pairing a nice blazer or sweater with a white t-shirt or a patterned button-down and linen pants is the way to give yourself an edge. This look says you a) know how to dress, and b) know how to take care of yourself, all things women want. For outerwear, trench coats or cropped jackets with a military influence are again in style. Pick one in a more neutral camel or dark green color to go with all of your outfits. In footwear, comfortable suede loafers, are back — with rejoices from male feet everywhere. Wear these without socks or with socks that are the same color as the shoe. To set the look with accessories try a pop of color with a pocket square or light scarf tucked into a jacket or sweater.

As for the next ten years, in being your personal trendforecaster for the moment I would say look for changes in not the look of fashion but the technology behind it. In the future, new technologies will emerge that will affect the threads and materials used to create what we wear. Take the specialized materials called techno-fibers, they have the ability to make a shirt warm you up, cool you down, have less wind resistance, omit light, or convert your movements into usable energy. There are also pieces that could make you happier by imitating a hug from someone by periodically squeezing your body. Sportswear companies are already in the works of using these technologies in their clothing for athletes. Do some research and you will find that clothing itself may change dramatically in the next several years.

Remember, this season’s “power dressing” is about being bold, looking intelligent and conveying strong animal magnetism. This look is bound to turn heads! Everyone must agree there really is no better feeling to start out the new school year.