New joint Madistan offers colossal Pakistani meals for less than $10

Delicious falafel paired with cheerful owners make for essential stop beneath Aberdeen apartments
Madistan.+
Joey Reuteman
Madistan.

Madison is known for offering accessible international cuisine. One of the newest additions to the exotic food scene is Madistan, a casual Pakistani-Mediterranean joint. The eatery is tucked underneath Aberdeen apartments, but could easily hold its own on the heart of State Street. The unique blend of food is fantastic and the service is exceptional.

Upon walking in, patrons are greeted by the cheerful and sarcastic owners that treat even newcomers like old pals. The main room is filled with a hodgepodge of a few tables and window seats, and the menu is written on a chalkboard.

Serving up sweet and savory delights, Cafe Hollander finds welcome place in Madison

Beside the brightly painted walls — which are quite possibly a hungover college kid’s nightmare —  the décor is endearingly nonexistent. Never mind the lack of ambiance and scant seating, though, the food is enough to keep any customer coming back.

The falafel is outstanding on its own, but even better in their sandwich, which is the size of a small truck and loaded with fresh ingredients and creamy hummus sauce. Adding an order of fries, while an unusually American side for such a dish, is well worth it as they come piping hot and crunchy, and made even more delicious dipped in the hummus and tahini sauce. On top of the good meals, their prices are perfect for the college clientele; one could easily snag fulfilling grub for less than $10.

The playful owners enjoyed checking up on patrons’ progress with the massive sandwiches. Upon witnessing nearly empty plates, they swiftly brought out their special of the day, butter chicken — on the house.

Madison Sourdough challenges expectations to create uniquely local goods

This kind of service makes a good meal great, and adds a personal touch to what could have been just a usual weeknight meal. Madistan isn’t the place to bring a hot date you want to impress, but it is a place to chow down on colossal amounts of food with friends and have a laugh with the owners.

Correction: This article previously misidentified the restaurant as Middle Eastern. We regret the error.