LaFollette starts run for governor

doug_KF
Wisconsin Secretary of State Doug LaFollette formally announced his candidacy for governor in a likely summer recall race.[/media-credit]

Wisconsin Secretary of State Doug La Follette announced his candidacy for governor Wednesday, saying the need for Wisconsin to return to a mutual respect for all its citizens would be a focus of his campaign.

In a statement, La Follette said he was the best choice to defeat Gov. Scott Walker in the likely upcoming recall election since he would listen to all the people rather than a select few.

“There has been far too much hostility and focus put on how to divide us rather than focusing on how we can respect each other and work together to move Wisconsin forward,” he said, referencing Walker’s tenure at governor.

La Follette said his most important priorities as governor would be a respect for businesses, teachers, health care and the environment, and he was running because he could not stand “idly by while everything we hold dear is torn down.”

Wisconsin Democratic Party spokesperson Graeme Zielinski said La Follette would be a substantial contender in the race because of his public recognition as Secretary of State.

“He is a big believer in the Wisconsin Idea and respects some of the best of our traditions,” Zielinski said.

He added La Follette’s emphasis on issues surrounding the environment, education system and job training would be key to his potential success as a candidate.

La Follette has more than proven his ability to raise campaign funds and win elections by holding the statewide position of Secretary of State for decades, Zielinski said.

University of Wisconsin Political Science Professor Barry Burden said in an email to The Badger Herald La Follette would add a new dimension to the Democratic primary contest.

“La Follette has both name recognition and lengthy experience in state government. He might also be appealing to middle-of-the-road voters because he has not been heavily involved in the contentious politics in Madison over the past year,” Burden said.

Contrary to Zielinski, Burden said La Follette may have some problems competing with gubernatorial candidates Kathleen Falk and Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, because La Follette is less organized and might not be able to raise as much money to support his campaign.

His capstone issues may also lose individual recognition, since Falk also champions environmental policies, Burden said. As a result, he said La Follette could come across to voters as a less ideological but more pro-business candidate.

“He may be viewed as a passive Secretary of State rather than someone who actively works for the issues that Democrats prioritize,” Burden said.

Although his candidacy was announced later than the others, La Follette’s challengers welcomed the competition.

Scot Ross, spokesperson for former Dane County Executive Falk, said the decision will ultimately be decided by Democratic voters in a primary.

“Democrats will have the final say on who can best put together the operation and who has the experience to provide the vision needed to go head to head with the extreme right-wing Walker agenda and machine,” Ross said.

A spokesperson for Vinehout who is also running for governor, could not be reached for comment. The Walker campaign also did not return comment.