Cubs World Series win causes celebratory gunfire in Madison

Century-old drought was broken in 8-7 final game against Cleveland Indians
Photo courtesy of Kevin Castro

After a 108-year drought, the Chicago Cubs finally won the World Championship series.

As celebrations rang all the way from the Windy City to Madison, concerned city residents made multiple calls to Madison Police Department Wednesday night for what they believed to be gunfire.

While several citizens called in to report gunfire, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said there was no evidence recovered to suggest any true damage.

According to the incident report, dispatch received two reports of possible gunshots fired immediately after the game. Based on the calls and the time of the reports, MPD believes the gunshots were most likely a celebratory type of behavior, DeSpain said.

DeSpain said it is also possible some of the sounds could have been fireworks. No harm or foul doing was found, he added.

Calling the department a “mixed bag,” DeSpain said MPD was happy for the long-suffering Cubs fans.

“We have some here today who are Cub fans and they are basking in the win today — and they’re pretty tired,” DeSpain said.