Madhatter’s alcohol license to be suspended for two weeks in January

City committee reached verdict after evaluating the 135 violations, sanctions will maximize punishment
Herald Archives

Madhatter bar will incur a 15 day suspension of its alcohol license due to repeated violations of maximum occupancy and underage drinking laws.

Monday, the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee unanimously voted to suspend Madhatter’s alcohol license from Jan. 14  to Jan. 28. Madhatter accepted the punishment, which is more severe than required by law, in an effort to move past the negative attention.

The bar’s legal representative, Erik Olsen, and Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Zilavy conferred privately at the beginning of the meeting and jointly proposed the 15-day suspension to the committee. During the suspension, no renovations may be done to the bar.

This suspension is the result of Madhatter’s violations in 2013 and 2014, and subsequent accumulation of 135 demerit points on its alcohol license. 

Madhatters bar faces possible suspension of alcohol license

Susan McKinney, Madhatter’s manager, said at the hearing, the bar has since hired entirely new managers, ensured all bouncers be more than 21 years old and partnered with Madison Police Department for training sessions on bar safety, including ID checking.

McKinney noted the bar turned over roughly 200 fake IDs to MPD over the last two months.

“The actions of my client show louder than words that it wants to reestablish itself as a responsible establishment,” Olsen stated.

By agreeing to the 15-day suspension, Olsen made a case for Madhatter’s good intentions moving forward.

“For the 50 to 150 point range, the guidelines would suggest something between a formal written warning and a 10-day suspension,” Olsen said. “In essence, we’re agreeing to a longer suspension than might be suggested by the law because we want to move forward.”

The dates of Madhatter’s suspension were selected expressly to maximize impact upon the operation of the bar Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4 said.

MPD Central District Police Commander Carl Gloede advised the suspension begin Jan. 14, because many University of Wisconsin students return from winter break around this time and create a rise in business to local bars.

Olsen later expressed Madhatter’s desire to continue to uphold the law in light of the committee’s verdict.

“We’re working very hard to work with the city and be a responsible member of the community,” Olsen said.