City committee approves plans for new apartment near Kohl Center

Joey Reuteman

Madison’s Joint Southeast Campus Area Planning Committee voted Monday night to approve plans for a new apartment complex on North Bedford Street in the Mifflin area.

The committee heard a presentation from Chris Johnson, a senior project manager at CA Ventures who proposed the project to the city. Both the city’s Urban Design Commission and Landmarks Commission approved the plans with various amendments.

Landmark Commission approves plans for new development in neighborhood of historic building

Johnson highlighted the potential building’s various amenities, including two outdoor areas for residents, a two-level parking garage, workout and yoga facilities.

Johnson also noted the building’s proximity to the University of Wisconsin’s Glass Lab. He said CA Ventures reached out to the lab and mentioned the possibility of the new building featuring a display of Glass Lab art in its lobby.

“Reaching out to stakeholders is one of our number one desires,” Johnson said. “We were happy to make that connection.”

The commission raised various concerns about the proposed building, including matters of height, bicycle parking and potential occupants of the building.

Johnson said he speculated the building will house about 60 percent students and 40 percent young professionals, citing specifically Epic employees.

“This is not strictly student housing,” Johnson said.

However, the commission voiced concern about possible discrimination for or against potential occupants based on student status, which is illegal according to Madison city ordinances.

Johnson assured the committee this was simply a marketing tactic and no leasing discrimination would occur.

The commission also raised concerns about safety. Some worried the increase of population density brought on by the construction of the new apartment would result in the need for more police officers.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, however, said police have rarely ever weighed in on matters of city development. He said police are stationed based on the number of calls they receive from an area, not its population.

The commission passed the proposal with only one dissenting vote.

The proposal was passed with two amendments. The first stated that there will be no discrimination between categories of tenants in marketing practices, and the second said city staff will discuss any implication the proposal will have regarding the need for more police.

The city’s Plan Commission will be the next and final step for the proposed building. They will hear the proposal in the coming weeks and make the final decision.