Tiki Shack to change management, city hopes for improvements

After years of trouble with the city, local bar Tiki Shack is looking to work on its image.

The past couple years the Tiki Shack has had a reputation for being the “the most embarrassing, problematic establishment that I represent in the 4th district,” Ald. Michael Verveer, District 4, said. The Tiki Shack has gained a reputation for having rude staff members, multiple violations and operating a “pathetic excuse” of a kitchen, he said.

Now, the establishment is going to be under new ownership by current managers, Mijal and Caleb Percevecz.

The Tiki Shack’s current owner, Joseph Vale, failed to appear at the Alcohol License Review Committee meeting for the second time. Vale was to attend the meeting to discuss a recent disciplinary matter at the establishment, Verveer said.

When an application came in for a change of ownership, Verveer said he was pleased the Tiki Shack would be under new management. However, when he saw the application, he said he was not so enthusiastic that they were current employees.

Mijal and Caleb Percevecz have been working as managers at the Tiki Shack for about 14 months. During this time they have been present for several of the Tiki Shack’s violations.

However, in the past eight months the Tiki Shack has seen improvement, as the managers have been slowly hiring new staff members and training them to a higher standard.

“Things have been improving hand over fist, and with the additional training of new bouncers, the problems at the door are ensured to improve dramatically,” Caleb Percevecz said.

The potential new owners have already hired a new chef to make minor changes to the menu, so the Shack may become a proper restaurant, serving food during all hours of operation.

“I was surprisingly impressed, and give the gentleman the benefit of the doubt in their sincere intentions to change the establishment,” Verveer said.

Mijal and Caleb Percevecz said they plan to give the Tiki shack a “face-lift.” This would include listening to the new chef to use the small kitchen space to its full economic potential.

Other improvements include “prettying up the bathrooms,” and resurfacing the floor of the restaurant.

After deliberation, the committee granted the new licensing under the conditions of being a restaurant.

If the sale of the Tiki Shack goes through, Mijal and Caleb Percevecz said they hope the Tiki Shack’s reputation will improve as a result of increased sales of food and the Shack’s new image as a restaurant.