John Nolen Drive “tunnel” project proposed, remains in preliminary stages

A new proposal would add a tunnel to John Nolen Drive to connect it to the downtown area, hoping to ease the commute and possibly foster economic growth. 

The tunnel is still in preliminary discussions, said Madison Mayor Paul Soglin, who said it “requires more public discussion before anyone can answer” whether or not it will pass.

Tim Anderson, one of the volunteer consultant on the project, said he hopes the project will lead to more developments downtown.

“We envision, as many other people do, that the East Rail Corridor will be developed by new innovators that are looking at the corridor for startup businesses, tech-related businesses, and they envision that Main Street will become a local street connector to serve the tech district,” Anderson said.

The proposal would expand Law Park by connecting it to John Nolen and the lakefront, partly to make the commute for those driving into the downtown area easier. Anderson said congestion at the railroad tracks would no longer be a problem, since traffic will be moving under the tunnel intersection.

Anderson said the project would be safer for all kinds of transportation, including bikers and pedestrians, because it would separate local street traffic from commuter traffic.

He also laid out his vision for the project, one that he said will boost businesses while also providing a more comfortable for those visiting or working in the area.

“In our way of thinking, this proposal will actually create opportunities where there is going to be businesses and the streets will be more vibrant, there’s going to be much more activity, more socialization, more opportunities for people to be more innovative and start up new businesses,” Anderson said.