Robbery at Subway on Park Street

Madison police are still searching for the suspect in connection with a robbery at a Subway near Park Street late Saturday night.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the suspect had a gun and used it to demand cash from the store clerk.

The suspect then fled on foot with the money he had stolen, according to a police report.

This prompted the police’s use of Slim, a police dog, in the investigation, the report said.

Slim then led officers through Brittingham Park and up West Washington Avenue toward the Capitol Square in search of the suspect, according to the report.

Despite the dog’s initial ability to pick up the suspect’s flight path, the scent was ultimately lost, allowing the suspect to get away, the report said.

“In almost all cases where we have a fleeing suspect and dogs available, we’ll bring a dog in,” DeSpain said. “Not only is it just Madison police dogs but if a neighboring jurisdiction or other department has a dog on duty in the area, we’ll use [them] as well.”

As of now, the suspect is still at large, but police continue to search, DeSpain said.

The report described the suspect as a black male between 25 and 30 years old, 6 feet tall with a thin build and weighing around 160 to 170 pounds.

He was last seen wearing a black jacket with a gray lining over a black hooded sweatshirt, along with navy blue windbreaker pants that had yellow stripes down each leg, the report said.

DeSpain said regarding this incident’s relation to recent robberies in the area, police remain unsure.

“We can’t say conclusively that it’s tied to anything else but we can’t rule it out either until we have a named suspect,” DeSpain said.

He added that this case, which occurred on the south side of Madison, does seem different in comparison to other recent robbery cases on the north side.

DeSpain said this may indicate the cases are not connected, but that cannot be confirmed until further investigation is done.