City approves portable, tiny houses for homeless

As a temporary solution for Madison’s homeless residents, a city committee unanimously approved Monday proposed plans for Occupy Madison to build small, portable houses as night shelters.

The Plan Commission unanimously approved a proposed ordinance to allow for homeless people to live in portable houses built by Occupy members.

This ordinance, which was approved by the commission, would allow outdoor overnight sleeping in tents or in other temporary portable shelters on religious institutions’ or nonprofit organizations’ land.

Plan Commission member Eric Sundquist said Occupy Madison, a homeless advocacy organization that identifies with Occupy Wall Street, constructed prototypes of portable houses as a way to house the homeless in the city.

“The Commission reviewed and approved the ordinance unanimously,” Sundquist said. “Occupy Madison has been working on finding a place for homeless people to stay, and they constructed these prototype houses to help solve the problem.”

The current zoning code allows for “Mission Houses” to reside on religious institutions’ or nonprofit organizations’ property. The housing plan in the proposed ordinance would classify these portable houses as Mission Houses.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, a co-sponsor of the ordinance, said the use of religious institution parking lots would not be used on a permanent basis for these houses but rather conditionally. The conditional basis means each specific location will have to apply for a city permit to host individuals in these Occupy Madison-constructed houses.

While this case-by-case permit process will not be a “sudden solution” to homelessness in Madison, Sundquist said it would provide an option for shelter to some members of the homeless community.

“We believe this ordinance will help and provide relief for some people, at least in a limited way,” he said.

Verveer said the Plan Commission approved the ordinance because they are concerned with the “crisis” the homeless community is facing in the city. He said this ordinance is one step to address the issue of homelessness.

“The bottom line is that this is the right thing to do,” Verveer said. “Madison is a very caring community, and while this ordinance is not any sort of solution to homelessness here, it is an important baby step to settling the homeless crisis in our community.”

Verveer said the unanimous recommendation by the Planning Commission is a good predictor of how the ordinance will fare when it faces City Council.

Sundquist said he would be “shocked” if the ordinance was not approved by City Council because he believes city officials support the plan.

Verveer said the portable houses are not ideal residences for the city’s homeless community, but it is the best possible way to deal with the issue.

“Tents and these portable houses are not by far optimal housing for people, but right now there are no other options,” he said.

Many Madison area homeless shelters have seen an increase in the number of patrons in recent years, and in some cases have been forced to turn people away. In his proposed 2014 Capital Budget, Mayor Paul Soglin pledged funds for an affordable housing facility to address the issue of the increasing number of homeless residents.

The Council will take up the ordinance in their Oct. 15 meeting.