Police respond to thefts, disturbances

Robbery: West Main Street 

Three armed suspects attempted to rob a residence on West Main Street Monday afternoon.

The residents of 500 W. Main St. said three suspects, two of whom were armed with guns allegedly tried to rob them, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the police believe the robbery was a drug deal gone wrong. He said police believe the victim was likely involved in dealing marijuana. Police noted the presence of marijuana in the apartment, he said.

“Certainly the robbers’ perception was that there were drugs or money present at home,” Verveer said.

The victim knew at least one of the suspects, Verveer said, adding that although it is not certain whether the victim was a drug dealer, it was possible one of the suspects was a previous customer of the victim.

Verveer said he was not sure if any items were stolen from the house as all three suspects fled the scene before police arrived.

The police are still investigating the incident, the statement said.

Residential Burglary: Langdon Street

Four burglaries on Langdon Street were reported to Madison police this past weekend.

Residents on the 200 block of Langdon Street reported a break-in Friday morning, and the other three were reported Saturday morning on the 100 and 200 blocks of the street, according to a MPD statement.

In two of the cases the burglars entered the house through unlocked doors and, in two of the other cases, the burglars gained entry by cutting open screens on unlocked windows, the statement said.

The suspects targeted electronics, according to a statement by MPD officer Grant Humerickhouse. He said all of the suspects have enter the residencies while the victims were asleep.

Although none of the burglaries have led to an injury of a victim, Humerickhouse said the crimes put the residents of Langdon Street at risk.

Theft: North Mills Street

Madison police arrested a suspected thief with the help of a set up by a bike theft victim Saturday night.

A Madison man, whose $640 bike was stolen from South Mills Street, recognized it when the bike went on sale on Craigslist, according to a MPD statement. The victim set up a meeting with the seller at Memorial Union on Monday, and police walked up to the seller at the meeting and asked her about the bike.

Sequoyah E.M. Branch, 24, claimed the bike was her husband’s and showed the manufacturer’s tag that contained the bike’s serial number, the statement said. The suspect later changed her story to say she bought the bike from another person and was consequently arrested for theft, the statement said.

Fight in progress: South Park Street 

Madison police responded to call for a fight in progress at the BP gas station on Park Street Saturday morning.

A witness saw several people jump out of vehicles and engage in a violent confrontation in the gas station parking lot on 318 S. Park St., according to a MPD statement.

There were reports of glass bottles being thrown, and a witness reportedly saw a victim being repeatedly kicked in the head, the statement said.

Officers found two unconscious men at the scene, one who was inside a car, and one who was on the pavement, the statement said. The victim lying on the pavement was transported to the hospital, the statement said.

Many people fled when the police arrived and others on the scene did not readily supply information about the fight.