Robbery on South Bassett Street Sunday

Two male suspects robbed a Madison man, 39, on South Bassett Street early Sunday morning.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel Despain said the victim was walking down the street around 1 a.m. when two bicyclists approached him. The bicyclists asked the man if he would like to buy one of the bikes for five dollars, DeSpain said. The victim asked if the bikes were stolen and the men said no. The victim then pulled out cash, which the suspects allegedly grabbed before peddling away, DeSpain said.

DeSpain said while MPD has not seen this type of robbery specifically, there are many different methods robbers use.

“We have different types of muggings where robbers try to get people’s attention,” DeSpain said. “They’re trying to stop and engage, then they try to steal.”

The victim was unharmed, the statement said. The suspects are described as male, black, of medium build and between 20 to 22 years of age, the statement said. The victim said the bikes were dark colored with women’s style frames, according to the statement.

DeSpain said students should be very aware when walking late at night, walk in well-lit areas and try to walk with somebody.