Vilas Zoo’s Henry the Lion dies at 18

Henry the Lion, an icon of the Henry Vilas Zoo since 1997, died of renal failure Wednesday at the age of 18. 

Henry, whose health had been deteriorating for the last year, was “humanely euthanized” Wednesday, a statement from the zoo said. Henry Vilas Zoo Deputy Director Jeff Halter said Henry suffered from renal disease, a common affliction for large cats.  

Halter said Henry’s legacy was as a symbol of the zoo, particularly coupled with his former mate, a lioness named Vilas, with whom he had several offspring. 

“He’s kind of iconic to the park,” Halter said. 

Henry Vilas Zoo Director Ronda Schwetz said in the statement Henry the Lion enjoyed his time at the zoo and lives on through his offspring. 

He will be missed by many zoo visitors who enjoyed his presence, Schwetz added. 

“Henry had a long and rich life at Henry Vilas Zoo,” she said. “He was a favorite of staff and visitors alike and will be sorely missed. His contribution to the strength of his species and their survival will be felt for generations.” 

Before he died, Henry was paired for a brief time with a young female lioness, Shakura. Despite their brief amount of time together, Halter said the zoo is hopeful Shakura may be pregnant with cubs. Halter said the zoo will not know if she is pregnant for another month or two. 

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said in a statement Henry the Lion was a great contribution to his species as a whole.

“He and his previous mate, Vilas, contributed greatly to the survival of their species, and towards educating the public on the importance of preserving our natural world,” Parisi said.

The Henry Vilas Zoo works in tandem with the American Association of Zoos and Aquariums Lions Species Survival Program to help support the future of lions as a species, the statement said.