Downtown Madison sees spike in crime

The area surrounding the Capitol has seen a recent increase in behavioral problems and violent crimes, a trend city officials attribute to an influx in a “different” group of people mixing with Madison’s homeless population.

Madison Police Department Capt. Carl Gloede said in a City Council meeting Tuesday the area around the 100 block of West Mifflin, near State Street, has received 430 calls for service from the police and seen 213 arrests so far this year– a high volume for such a small area.

Gloede, who gave a report on downtown safety in the meeting, said there have been cases of battery and a stabbing recently as well as an increase in drug dealing in the area. 

“The activities they are engaging in have become more of a concern,” Gloede said. 

Mayor Paul Soglin said issues have arisen in recent months around the area because a “different group of people” joined the homeless that already reside in the area. 

“Those with violent behavior are taking advantage of the homeless community by using them as a shield,” Soglin said. 

Gloede also said that homeless shelters’ hospitality is being abused by some of these people as well. 

Several property owners at the meeting also expressed their concerns they did not feel safe going to work.

Soglin said there have been statements that Madison has become a drop off point for criminals from other municipalities, adding a number of sex offenders are released in Madison without registered addresses near the area. 

However, Gloede said these offenders have nowhere else to go. 

“Somehow or another sex offenders are coming into Madison without addresses,” Soglin said. 

Gloede said 28 registered sex offenders were sent to 16 W. Washington St. from January to August this year, some of them coming from throughout state.

Madison Area Urban Ministry Associate Director Barbara McKinney said she believes the Department of Corrections is releasing people from prison with nowhere to go, ultimately leading to them to congregate in certain areas.
McKinney said the DOC has to be brought to the table for discussions about the release of these criminals. 

Gloede said MPD has taken several steps in order to address problems on the street including putting more officers on foot during the day and multiple cameras in the greater State Street area. MPD is also collaborating with local businesses on the issue.

The Downtown Safety Initiative overtime money has not been tapped to fund the extra officers in the area, he said.

However, Gloede added police have been having trouble addressing the problem by simply writing tickets as people continue to repeat the offenses. 

“It has to be more than just a law enforcement solution to get out of this,” Gloede said.