Woman attacked on Gilman early Tuesday morning

A college-aged Madison resident was physically assaulted while walking on the 400 block of West Gilman Street shortly after Midnight April 16.

Two men asked the 21-year-old victim how to get to State Street, according to a Madison Police Department statement. She ignored them, and one of the men hit her in the face, the statement said.

The statement said after the woman was hit she fell to the ground, screamed and was taken to an emergency room by a friend.

The suspect who hit her and his associate ran off, the statement said.

According to the statement, one of the suspects was a black male, 20, with a light complexion, wearing red clothing and a dark knit cap. The statement said the other suspect was also a black male, 20, and was wearing a dark knit cap and dark clothing.

“There was clearly no motive whatsoever,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “It’s an inexcusable random act of violence.”

The attack was unusual because it occurred on a Monday night, Verveer said.

He said usually on weekends when more people are out drinking, which leads to more people on the block of Gilman where the incident occurred, between State Street and University Avenue.

“I’m very saddened by the incident that occurred late Monday night,” Verveer said. “Obviously it was an unprovoked incident.”

Verveer said he hopes the city’s surveillance cameras, some of which are located on Gilman Street, will have captured the incident and provide evidence so MPD detectives can pursue the suspects.

In September 2012, the City of Madison Board of Estimates voted for the addition of 32 surveillance cameras downtown in the 2013 Executive Budget, to be added to 34 existing cameras that were installed in as 2005-2006 Downtown Safety Initiatives.

The surveillance cameras proved successful in identifying suspects in the May 19, 2012 shooting on University Avenue.