Man breaks into Statesider apartments and lies in woman’s bed, accosts other woman

Residential Burglary: Frances Street

A man entered the Statesider, an apartment building located on the 500 block of North Frances Street, shortly after bar close on Sunday morning and entered the unlocked rooms of several women, lying in one’s bed, stealing a wallet and accosting another woman.

The suspect signed into the front desk, claiming he was at the apartment building to visit friends, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

An 18-year-old female resident woke up to find the suspect in her bed, according to the statement. She told him to leave and the suspect did not hurt her, the statement said.

He accosted a woman on the elevator of the apartment and touched her inappropriately, according to the statement. He made several lewd comments to other women he encountered in the apartment, the statement said.

A 19-year-old woman later realized her wallet was missing, the statement said.

The statement described the suspect as 6 feet tall, black and having a slender build and facial scruff. He was wearing a red jacket with dark sleeves and a red baseball style hat, according to the statement.

The suspect has not been identified, but MPD provided the apartment building manager with directions on how to better screen guests.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, called the incident “very, very scary” and said it hit home with him because he lived in the Statesider his freshman year at UW.

He said it is unbelievable that he was able to get past the front desk and avoid detection for a period of time that allowed him to enter several rooms of residents.

“It is one thing to be a burglar, that’s bad enough, but to know that one student awoke to find the suspect lying in bed with her is just unfathomable,” Verveer said.

He said he hopes the Statesider was able to provide police detectives with quality surveillance video of the suspect so he can quickly be apprehended and not continue to perpetuate scary behavior.

Robbery: Regent Street

An armed man robbed Milio’s Subs on 2145 Regent St. at 8 p.m. Monday night.

The suspect, who has not yet been apprehended by the police, stole an undisclosed amount of money from the sub shop, according to a MPD statement.

The statement described the suspect as a white male, around 6 feet tall, with a medium to heavy build wearing blue jeans and a black hooded sweatshirt.