Board maintains county camping rules

Homeless individuals who are part of the Occupy Madison movement will continue to live on private property in Madison until the middle of April, when they will be able to move to Dane County campgrounds.

Madison’s Zoning Board of Appeals voted last week to maintain county rules that make it illegal for people to camp on the private property. Members of the Occupy movement took up camp on private grounds located in the city of Madison near I-90/94 after they were booted from their government-owned camp grounds last month. 

This means the city could fine the owner of the property hundreds of dollars every day for allowing the Occupy Madison people to continue to live there, Dane County Board Supervisor Heidi Wegleitner District 2 said. However, she said no fines have been issued yet.

She said the homeless people have been on the vacant lot since March 17 when they were required to leave the government land they were previously living on, and they will most likely stay at the private property until the county park campgrounds open April 16.

“I’m hopeful common sense prevailed,” Wegleitner said. “Hopefully discretion is used to not actually ticket [the property owner].”

She estimated there are between 20 and 25 people currently living at the vacant lot. Wegleitner stressed that more needs to be done to help homeless people in Madison and Dane County.

She said she strongly supports a plan being discussed by City Council that would introduce an ordinance to allow camping in some areas within city limits.

“We do have a serious homelessness crisis,” she said. “I haven’t heard much in terms of political will to increase shelter.”

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he would support a conditional or special use permit, which would make camping legal within the city. He said it is currently illegal to camp anywhere within the city but the permit could allow people to camp on private grounds if the owner approved. He said the permit could also allow nonprofits and religious organizations to allow camping on their property.

“If there is a property owner who would like to have people camp on grounds he has available it is their right to allow people to camp on it,” Resnick said.

He said alders have already met with the city attorney and future meetings are scheduled to discuss the change.

Ald. Joe Clausius, District 17, the alder of where the Occupy camp is located, said because the camp violates a city ordinance, he does not support it.

“If they find a legal place I will support that, and will work with the city and the county to find a spot [for them],” he said.

He said a campground for homeless people does not belong in the middle of a residential area, and said they should find an area in a commercial area with access to public transportation and other resources.

Clausius said everyone who has contacted him about the Occupy camp in the district is in total opposition to it.

“We’re sympathetic to the homeless situation but the bottom line is that it does not belong in a residential area,” he said.