Man beaten on 600 Block of State Street Sunday morning

A man was allegedly beaten to the ground and temporarily lost consciousness on the 600 block of State Street early Sunday morning.

According to a Madison Police Department statement, two men punched and kicked the 26-year-old male victim around bar time, 1:30 a.m. One of the suspects is a white male age 21 to 24 years old, it said.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the incident occurred after the victim and suspect bumped shoulders, and said the victim claimed the suspect was staring at him. He added it took place at State Street Brats.

“[The victim] said the bump was harder than it should have been,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain said the victim went to the hospital after the incident, but did not have any significant injuries.

According to the statement, after the victim was beaten, he said he either passed out from being intoxicated or was knocked out. He realized his wallet and cell phone were missing after regaining consciousness, the statement said.

Police are not sure if the suspects were intoxicated, DeSpain added. He said the victim’s wallet and cell phone are still missing.

DeSpain said even though the victim did not provide very detailed descriptions, MPD is reviewing surveillance cameras and other evidence in an effort to locate the suspects. He said police are reviewing footage from cameras both inside and outside the bar.

Violence downtown tends to be enhanced in areas with a high concentration of bars, DeSpain said.

“There’s some amount of violence that takes place particularly after bar time in the city where there are some bar fights,” DeSpain said.