Two report sexual assaults over weekend

A Baraboo teen was sexually assaulted by a man claiming to be dressed as Hugh Hefner late Saturday night, according to Madison police.

The incident occurred on the 20th block of South Mills Street at 11 pm, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the 17-year-old female was walking in the 20th block of South Mills Street when a man wearing a black and red flannel robe allegedly tried to hug her, but she pushed him away.

The victim then asked what the man’s Halloween costume was supposed to be, and he gave her the name of the Playboy magazine publisher, DeSpain said.

“The stranger then grabbed her and sexually assaulted her,” DeSpain said. “She was able to push him away and run.”

According to the MPD statement, the suspect was described as a male with a thin build.

Ald. Sue Ellingson, District 13, said the victim took the correct action by calling police once she was assaulted. She said she was glad the victim was able to protect herself.

Ellingson said the area of campus in which the incident occurred is not a place where assaults normally happen, however, the night that it happened may have been a catalyst to the crime.

She said the combination of Freakfest on State Street, the home Badger football game and people downtown consuming excessive amounts of alcohol led to negative things happening in Madison.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said an additional sexual assault involving a woman occurred around midnight Sunday on South Bassett Street.

He said police were at the crime scene for six hours collecting evidence because of the serious nature of the crime.

Verveer said the investigation to obtain more information regarding the attack is being taken seriously by police, and he is confident police are actively working toward finding a suspect or suspects.

He said the attack on South Bassett Street was one of the most senseless, serious attacks of the weekend.

DeSpain said the incident is under active investigation, and as soon as police obtain more information, an incident report with details about the specific crime will be available.