Minnesota student attacked at local bar

LAKE STREET

Battery

A University of Minnesota student suffered a head injury at Kollege Klub early Sunday morning, according to a statement.

The intoxicated 21-year-old victim stepped in between an altercation about sports around 12:55 a.m., the statement said. It said the victim does not remember what the fight was about.

DeSpain said the victim was not sure if he was punched or pushed, but fell over and hit his head. The statement said the victim was unconscious after he fell backward and was taken to the hospital.

No other arrests were made or suspects identified by MPD, DeSpain said.

EAST JOHNSON STREET

Damaged Property

A vandalism spree occurred on East Johnson Street Saturday night or Sunday morning, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

It said around 30 vehicles were damaged that were parked on the north side of the street between the 400 and 1000 blocks.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the cars were operational after the incident, and most of the cars had broken rear-view mirrors on the driver’s side. At least one car had a shattered rear windshield, and some others had additional damage, according to the statement.

DeSpain said MPD has not made any arrests and do not currently know of any possible suspects.

“Unless someone who has evidence of a perpetrator [comes forward], all we have are damaged vehicles,” DeSpain said.

He said insurance of the drivers whose cars got damaged will likely pay to fix them.

DOWNTOWN

Weapons Violation

According to a statement, a 19-year-old male suffered a gunshot wound early Sunday morning.

DeSpain said the victim showed up at the hospital with a wound to his leg. He said the victim was not forthcoming about what happened and where the incident took place downtown.

The victim did not suffer serious injuries, DeSpain said.

He said MPD is not sure if someone shot the victim or if the incident was self-inflicted or accidental.

“It could be a wide array of things but we don’t have enough information to make a determination,” DeSpain said.

GORHAM STREET

Weapons Violation

A 19-year-old male was hit in the leg by a pellet or BB gun early Monday morning, according to a statement.

It said the victim was walking between West Johnson Street and West Gorham Street when he sensed something hit him in the thigh. The victim said his leg was bleeding and he said he noticed a hole in his jeans, the statement said.

The statement said the victim did not see or hear anyone around him after feeling the shot, but a vehicle with a broken window and numerous pellets inside was parked nearby.

It added the victim did not receive any medical attention for his injury.