Freakfest preparation finalized

coordinating_MH
Two students enjoy Freakfest on State Street last year. This year, the event is expected to draw record numbers with Mac Miller and Big Gigantic as headliners.[/media-credit]

Members of the Downtown Coordinating Committee addressed how to prepare for the uniquely large crowd Freakfest is expected to draw next Saturday.

Frank Productions spokesperson Charlie Goldstone said State Street will be gated off starting at 7 p.m., and the event will last until 1:30 a.m.

Goldstone said a few new VIP areas ticketed at $35 – compared to $8 for an average ticket – will allow close access to the stage, and Frank Productions has received a considerable amount of interest in terms of ticket sales. He said the benefit is not waiting in line for the concert early in the evening because VIP ticket holders are guaranteed a spot by the stage.

He added Frank Productions wants to provide a unique and convenient experience to some willing to pay more for tickets while keeping regular ticket prices the same in the hope of appealing to a wide audience.

Goldstone said ticket sales are among the largest seen in years. He said they have sold around 1,500 tickets so far and anticipate to sell 45,000, 80 percent of which are normally purchased either Friday or the day of Freakfest.

“We’re pretty pleased with how things have gone so far this year,” Goldstone said. “We’re significantly ahead of where we were last year and we’re anticipating a large crowd.”

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, having Mac Miller and Big Gigantic perform at Freakfest has drawn many students. He said Frank Productions spent more money on talent this year than in previous years.

Madison Police Department Capt. Carl Gloede said the main entry access points will be on West Johnson Street, with everything south of West Johnson Street being an exit, with the exception of VIP areas. He added one of the VIP areas will be off Carroll Street.

After 7 p.m. Saturday, anyone walking on State Street will be required to have a ticket for Freakfest, which may present inconveniences to people visiting the area for Homecoming, Gloede said.

Gloede said police will make arrests at the City County Building rather than on the street. He said last year, only 30 or 40 citations were issued, which is extremely low for this type of event.

“We don’t predict anything other than that level and we’re hoping it continues to reduce because that’s the nature of the event,” Gloede said.

He said the Freakfest event officers will come in at 5 p.m., and the area will consist of more than 150 MPD officers in the event zone. He added State Patrol personnel and Dane County sheriffs will also be present. The University of Wisconsin Police Department will have officers on university property, he added.

The Downtown Coordinating Committee unanimously voted at its last meeting on its annual decision to make Freakfest a glass-free zone, similar to the Mifflin Street Block Party.

According to Gloede, one of the biggest challenges this upcoming Saturday will be the traffic caused by the UW Badgers football game, Homecoming and Freakfest. He said MPD worked with traffic engineering to shut down half the isthmus downtown and provide a detour for the closures on West Johnson Street.

“Patience will be a virtue that day after the game,” Gloede said.