Student reports robbery, assault on Regent Street

A University of Wisconsin student reported a robbery and assault that occurred on Regent Street early Saturday morning to the Madison Police Department on Saturday afternoon.

The incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. on Regent Street near Park Street and involved a 19-year-old female who was walking alone after parting with a friend, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

According to a MPD statement, the suspect is described as a male, 18-22 years old, 6 feet tall with a muscular build.

The victim said the man punched her in the face and demanded her black leather bag, took it and then ran off, DeSpain said.

“The victim wasn’t quite sure what to do at the time,” DeSpain said. “What she should have done is called the police immediately after the crime happened.”

DeSpain said when the victim of a crime waits to call police long after the incident, it diminishes the opportunity for them to gain information about the attacker.

He said the victim’s keys and ID were found and returned to her, but the money was gone.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said the incident occurred at one of the primary locations on campus where additional surveillance cameras are needed and will be installed as part of the Downtown Safety Initiative, aiding police in solving crimes.

“There are proactive measures being taken to make sure that perpetrators will be brought to justice for these types of crimes,” Resnick said.

Resnick said he takes this incident very seriously and said there will be a town hall meeting administered through Associated Students of Madison on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. in the Student Activity Center to discuss campus safety.