iPhone tracking device leads to arrest

Because of tracking technology available on an iPhone 4, police were able to locate and arrest a man suspected of burglary on State Street Saturday afternoon.

The use of the phone’s tracking device ultimately led to the arrest of Madisonian Berry Banks, 51, after he allegedly stole the cell phone, iPod and cash from an employee of Kilwins candy story by entering through an unlocked back door in the morning, according to a Madison Police Department statement.

The statement said the victim’s boyfriend tracked the stolen iPhone on his computer, which pinpointed the suspect at James Madison Park. When he arrived at the park, he called his girlfriend’s phone number and saw a man holding the ringing iPhone while sitting on a bench.

Banks turned over the iPod and cell phone after the boyfriend confronted him, the statement said. Banks denied stealing any cash and showed the boyfriend his wallet.

The statement said Banks then left the park on a bicycle, and the boyfriend called MPD to describe his appearance. Police found Banks near West Mifflin Street and arrested him on charges of burglary.

“The boyfriend had provided a good description of this person, and also got a look at the name of his ID card inside his wallet,” MPD spokesperson DeSpain said of the arrest.

According to the statement, Banks had other valuable items in his possession, including several cell phones and bicycle lights.

The tracking software available on new technology has proved helpful for both police and citizens to locate criminals, DeSpain said.

“We’ve seen this appear several times where citizens become their own detective and track things down and let us know they found them,” DeSpain said.

Tracking software on cell phones has been increasingly successful in helping MPD recover stolen property and make arrests over the past few years, he added.