City committee approves later hours for State Street cabs

After a threat of a change in the law this summer, a city committee voted Wednesday to allow taxicabs to continue cruising State Street for potential passengers through the evening and early morning hours.

Under the new rules recommended to the City Council by the Transit and Parking Commission, taxicabs can freely cruise State Street between the hours of 7 p.m. and 4 a.m.

“We have many visitors coming to this city, cab drivers needing to make a living and people trying to get home,” committee member Margaret Bergamini said. “People in this town eat dinner at 6, 7, or 8 p.m., and shows [on State Street] may get done at 10 p.m.”

Mayor Paul Soglin originally proposed taxicabs be allowed to cruise State Street from the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., citing State Street’s minimal vehicular traffic as one of its important, unique aspects. He added if taxicabs cruise State Street earlier than midnight, they might impede on buses and emergency vehicles using the roadway.

Mary Carbine, representative of Madison’s Business Improvement District, testified that her staff supported the bid for taxis to respond to State Street hails between the hours of 7 p.m. and 4 a.m. Carbine said people expect to hail a cab in the city the size of Madison, and she added she has received more complaints about delivery trucks blocking State Street than taxis.

Hawk Sullivan, owner of Hawk’s Bar and Grill on State Street, said he believes cabs should be able to cruise the road 24 hours per day. He said those unfamiliar with the Madison area often prefer to hail a cab back to their hotels after dinner, but currently this is prohibited.

Madison Metro General Manager Chuck Kamp said he preferred taxicab restrictions closer to midnight. He said allowing taxicabs to cruise State Street closer to 7 p.m. poses a problem for buses trying to stay on schedule.

However, Ald. Chris Schmidt, District 11, said an oversaturation of bus traffic between the hours of 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. would make the presence of taxicabs problematic.

“Our concern is with Madison Metro,” Schmidt said. “That’s where the midnight thing came into play.”

Transit and Parking Commission Chairperson Gary Poulson said he could not support 7 p.m. start time, but would like to see the 10 p.m. amendment initially proposed by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, implemented.

Union Cab Manager David Lee said the Union Cab management team supported the initial 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. amendment by Verveer, but will be supportive of the 7 p.m. start time as well.

Schmidt said he believed the debate may serve as a learning experience for the city. He said effects the taxicabs have on Madison Metro can be re-evaluated in six months to a year.